Compression Fixture Stops - Replacement Parts Universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hello:

I just would like to validate something I believe to be true. Generally speaking, would I be correct to say that the replacement parts for for compression style fixture stops are universal.

Specifically, I am referring to these parts: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/brasscraft-repair-kit-for-multi-turn-stops/1001386569?rrec=true.

brasscraft-repair-kit.jpg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
My father used to say that the only thing standard in plumbing is that everything is oddball. That kit should work if your stop is the same brand, it gets doubtful after that.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's safer usually, to remove the compression ring, and if the nut was overtightened, you may need a puller to do it. That also lets you change the nut, which may be corroded so it matches the new valve.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
It's safer usually, to remove the compression ring, and if the nut was overtightened, you may need a puller to do it. That also lets you change the nut, which may be corroded so it matches the new valve.

Thank you, it's actually a crimp fitting. The valve type is compression (i.e. vs ball).

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
My father used to say that the only thing standard in plumbing is that everything is oddball. That kit should work if your stop is the same brand, it gets doubtful softer that.

Thanks. For $4.oo, I will give it a try. Based on what you are saying, I will also pick up a new one at the same time so I have a solid plan B.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think the OP was asking about the compression side of the angle stop, but the stem, packing, washer. I think they all look the same, but some of the threads on the packing nut may vary. I never repair them however since in our remodel work we are installing new stops to switch them all over to ball style.

But I have found several different compression types on angle stops. The location/depth of the copper where the ferrule rests is the key difference. Most use the same threads but I have found one older style that didn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks