Completely new to wells and having a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

williams

Reaction score
I never had a well until two years ago when we bought this house. The well never had a problem until recently. I don't know much about the well other than it is about 125' deep. Don't know what type of pump it uses or any other information about it. Yesterday, the breaker for the well started popping frequently. It is intermittent, but happens more often than not. It is a 20 amp breaker. When the well pump starts running, the control hums slightly, then ticks a little bit, then shuts off when working properly. I took the cover off the control, the contacts look ok to me, and I watched it during operation. When the control turned off, the contacts arced somewhat. I don't know if that is normal or not. My biggest fear is that the pump is going bad. I have tried to lift it manually, but can't do it. Any advice out there? Thanks.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Yes I have some advice. Use a DMM to verify voltage leaving the contactor then do an amp draw on the line going to the pump.

Then get out your checkbook and pay someone to replace the pump.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Or, just make the call now and let the well pump guy handle it all.
Setting up a Monday appointment will save a few $$$

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that control with the contacts (pressure switch) is the only control for the pump, it is a 2 wire pump and you probably will need to replace the motor. If there is another control box on the wires between the pressure switch and the well itself, then it may be problems with that box itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks