Completely botched flange install

Users who are viewing this thread

BigWhoops

Reaction score
So I'm at the tail end of a remodel, the kind where everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Everything you peel back is a surprise of something to fix.

Well, brain zapped and in over my head in most of this anyway, I've learned so much, but today I learned a hard lesson and was wondering what my options are in fixing it.

I was dealing with some very tight quarters and gluing in a new flange on top of the 3" sewer riser the plumber left me when he was last here roughing everything in.

I cut it flush, positioned the flange, chipped tile away enough to get it to slip over the sewer pipe properly, then spent quite a while drilling through the tile, getting to the subfloor, so I could screw the flange to the plywood under the tile. Feeling proud of myself, I got it glued in, screwed down, and called it a day.

Only later did I realize what I'd done. The slots that I'd painstakingly aligned at 3 and 9 o'clock to get the toilet square with the wall? I aligned the entry holes of the slots, instead of the end, or literally any other part of the freaking slot. And it's glued in, and very tight quarters.

It's also sitting on top of the tile, so repair rings or spacers, I think, aren't an option.

Any tips or tricks, or am I going to be trying to cut the flange off somehow?

bigwoops-01.jpg

bigwoops-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Plastic ring or metal ring on the flange? I presume plastic.

Still a repair ring may work. Put the closet bolts in place before screwing down the ring.
Sioux Chief 886-MR is not split. I think it would usually go over the top.
https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/ringer

It would add a little bit of thickness over your already thick presumed pvc ring. You could sand down the problem pvc ring with a belt sander to give more clearance for a repair flange.

Another possibility is to cut away your outside 3-inch pvc flange, and put in an inside 3-inch flange. There are those that glue in, and there is the 3-inch Pushtite. I am not a plumber.

BigWhoops

Reaction score
Another possibility is to cut away your outside 3-inch pvc flange, and put in an inside 3-inch flange. There are those that glue in, and there is the 3-inch Pushtite. I am not a plumber.

If I’m cutting it anyway, why switch to an inside? Because of the damaged from cutting pipe surface ?

And yeah, it’s a thick pvc ring. Pics posted. Thanks for the tips. You gave me a few options to mull.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I’m cutting it anyway, why switch to an inside? Because of the damaged from cutting pipe surface ?
You have the plastic glued to the outside of the pipe. But you have a clean surface on the inside to work with. Did you look at the Pushtite?

You still could hack the pvc ring down or away, and use the PASCO 21013 or Superior 21015 --repair rings with mounting tabs outside. The place the wax works against would be the existing pvc. The closet bolts would be in the repair ring.

Last edited:

dsc3507

Reaction score
Just some thoughts...

That hole cutter looks neat but I would be very careful. Thats the kind of thing you practice on first!

Not sure what you floor material is but if you could chip off enough on each side to get a large stainless washer and flange bolt in from the side it might work. you would have to make a grove the width of the bolt to get it in preferably away from the large opening. The washer should be as large as possible. If the flange is not screwed down you could possibly pry it up enough to do that unless it is set in concrete. Then put a washer and nut on the topside to make it solid.

If it is concrete why not go down through the large flange hole and secure to the concrete below. I would guess there are bolts that could be screwed into the concrete with anchors. Certainly these are used in the construction industry.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It would add a little bit of thickness over your already thick presumed pvc ring. You could sand down the problem pvc ring with a belt sander to give more clearance for a repair flange...
Good idea about using a belt sander to thin out the existing flange. There might be a problem however that the PVC flange is wider and the metal would not slip over the sides of it. I would preinstall the two closet bolts with nuts to hold them in place. Then I would heat up the metal ring in the oven and drop the hot metal ring on top of the PVC. The PVC will soften and conform to the shape of the metal. After it has all cooled, I would drill new support holes and screw it down.

Treeman

Reaction score
Since you mention a plywood subfloor...can't you go underneath (basement/crawlspace), cut off the 3 inch pipe and use a coupler to glue in a new section of 3 inch pipe up to the floor?

BigWhoops

Reaction score
Since you mention a plywood subfloor...can't you go underneath (basement/crawlspace), cut off the 3 inch pipe and use a coupler to glue in a new section of 3 inch pipe up to the floor?

Yes, underneath would have been an option but it’s very tight down there. Probably the best option though.

What we ended up doing was using a pair of spanner flanges. Did the trick just fine so far.

Thanks all!

Treeman

Reaction score
There are shorter ones. Some fit it under the old flange, some fit it over :
31mpbej2i3L.jpg

41Kh16atRRL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks