Completed my first toilet replacement, but tile issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

dosstx

Reaction score
Recently replaced my first toilet in an old house. Unfortunately, looks like the previous owner did not continue the tile covering to the flange, so when I put in the new toilet, it's base does not quite cover the missing tiles.

tile.jpg

What can I do in my situation to fix this? I don't have any tile experience. I don't mind removing the toilet again if that's the case (used Sani-Seal), but looking for ideas on what to do.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
If it came up again, you would return that toilet and get as skirted toilet. Do you maybe have a use for that toilet elsewhere?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I will second that. Find a bowl that covers. There are plenty that do.
There is no way to "fix" that floor. The previous installer should have lifted the toilet when doing the floor.

dosstx

Reaction score
If it came up again, you would return that toilet and get as skirted toilet. Do you maybe have a use for that toilet elsewhere?

Good idea. Yes, was planning on doing upstairs toilet...so will move this one to that one and get a different toilet with a skirt for the base. Good idea!

dosstx

Reaction score
Forgot to ask...anyone know what toilets have a skirted base that would be adequate for my needs ? Looks like I need the base to be a minimum of 9.5" in width and about 17" deep to cover the missing tile spot.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto offers several skirted toilets. These require the Unifit adapter so can be used on 14", 12", or 10" rough-in. There are excellent fixtures.

Reach4

Reaction score
Toto Soiree is probably among the widest. I would make a template from the old toilet, but cut the hole to an inch all around larger. Make sure that the template does not get farther than an inch from whatever toilet you look at.

https://www.totousa.com/find-a-showroom will help you find a Toto showroom near you.

Last edited by a moderator:

dosstx

Reaction score
But don't the unifit adapters require some custom drilling into the floors to use?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
But don't the unifit adapters require some custom drilling into the floors to use?

Yeah, but it's cake to anybody that has skills beyond gluing plastic pipe together. Terry charges almost the same to install one, because he has used a drill before.

Reach4

Reaction score
Drilling ceramic tile is not so hard. Drilling porcelain tile is harder. Even that is not bad, but it takes special techniques.

I suspect that you might find a non-Unifit toilet that covers.

If you do go Unifit, the Soiree sure looks to me as if it would cover more than most other Unifit toilets.

I also wonder if the original Drake has a big enough base to cover. Unfortunately they don't describe the foot print, so I think making that template would be worthwhile.

dosstx

Reaction score
I have sent an email out to Toto to see if they can recommend me a toilet with a base big enough for my issue. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
After looking again, I think you could have another problem. That water supply line, where currently located, would probably interfere with the toilet on a skirted toilet.

dosstx

Reaction score
After looking again, I think you could have another problem. That water supply line, where currently located, would probably interfere with the toilet on a skirted toilet.

Looks like it is about 5" from the centerline :/

Looking at the AS Champion 4 specs, it seems this may work for my situation?

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
No need to kill a gnat with a sledgehammer. No need for something that huge, I think. There has to be an affordable Toto that does the job.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's something you might consider. If that is vinyl tile, you could cut a rectangle around the toilet, then fill in from the cut edge to the flange with tile of a complementary color. This would give you a sort of border and would not be unattractive. You would have to be quite accurate with the cut and careful with the removal.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Recently replaced my first toilet in an old house. Unfortunately, looks like the previous owner did not continue the tile covering to the flange, so when I put in the new toilet, it's base does not quite cover the missing tiles.

View attachment 29541

What can I do in my situation to fix this? I don't have any tile experience. I don't mind removing the toilet again if that's the case (used Sani-Seal), but looking for ideas on what to do.

Thanks!
From the picture, your tile appears to be ceramic. If that's the case, that pattern is relatively common. I've seen it at Lowe's and The Home Depot and it comes in sheets. For a space that small, you shouldn't have a major problem putting down new tile. There are endless DIY sources online that all have basically the same instructions. I've laid a lot of ceramic bathroom tile and if I can do it, you can. If your tile is vinyl, it's an even easier fix. I'm pretty sure I've also seen that pattern in vinyl tile. Pull the toilet and use a putty knife to pop up the misfit tiles. Thoroughly clean/prep the subsurface. If it's wood, I'd sand it. Use a utility knife (box cutter) to cut the new tile to the correct shape, and lay the new tile in place. It's peel-and-stick self-adhesive. As I said, you can DIY if it's ceramic and definitely if it's vinyl tile. If it's sheet vinyl, you could do a piece patch. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself because I'm not that patient. If it is sheet vinyl and the space is small, you might consider recovering the entire floor.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I have seen this too many times where tile was cut to fit around the toilet base. All I can do is shake my head -- especially due to the fact that a lot of people paid good money for that kind of sloppy work!

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
There is another option. You can pull the toilet and install a toilet footprint cover plate and reinstall the toilet. The plate adheres to the floor with caulk and covers the scars where the tile was cut around the old toilet. Search "toilet footprint cover plate." There are a number of very affordable options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks