Complete system clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Gokudomo

Reaction score
Alright, so after multiple attempts using draino and 1/4" snake auger I still have a clogged system.

I went to home Depot and picked up a 1/2" 50' snake auger. Went under the house to the cleanout end, opened it up and shoved pretty much all 50' into the straight pipe pushing in and out multiple times (basically all the way out to the street). I thought I had gotten the clog out, boy was I wrong. Is there any way the clog is at the street or did all 50' of snake not clear up the clog? The pipe under the house only goes about 18' rest of pipe is outside the house foundation. I have a feeling calling a plumber won't help unless he's carrying a 75'+ auger which would end him into the actual sewers at the street.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170908_171202.jpg
    20170908_171202.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 20170908_171118.jpg
    20170908_171118.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 377

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you opened up the cleanout under the house did water pour out. If it did then the clog is between there and the street if not it is up in the house somewhere.

Gokudomo

Reaction score
When you opened up the cleanout under the house did water pour out. If it did then the clog is between there and the street if not it is up in the house somewhere.
The clean out is a straight pipe out to the street, yes water and crap came out. But as I mentioned earlier the pipe is only 18'... I pushed about 47' of the snake in and out multiple times, and completely removed and re inserted about 3 times. Could I have just missed removing the clog or is it out in the main sewer line? And if so, would I still be responsible for it at that point?

Gokudomo

Reaction score
So I attempted to reach the clog again. Feels like there could possibly be 2 blocks. First one I hit I can pull out what looks to be like seedling roots and pine needles, for some reason I can't break it up. But if I keep pulling and pushing I get through, then about the same distance after that block I hit another.

The vent stack was stuffed so I cleared that up. I pushed the snake through the main attack as well but couldn't tell if it was blocked at all but if it was it's cleared now.

Do I give in at this point and call a plumber?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I give in at this point and call a plumber?
You probably want to call somebody who specializes in cleaning drain and sewer lines.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't carry anything SHORTER than a 75' snake, but HAVING a snake and knowing HOW to use it are two very different things. If the problem was in the main, ALL your neighbors would also have the problem.

Last edited:

Gokudomo

Reaction score
I don't carry anything SHORTER than a 75' snake.
I looked at the various tools/machines that would be best for the situation and it seems they're all too big for the entry point into my crawlspace. What would a plumber do at that point?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are probably cleanouts out in the yard between the house and the street. They could have been covered up. If there isn't a clean out between the house and the street , then you might need to add one.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In some places the first thing I do is check in the manhole on the street to see if it is backed up there. If you cannot do that, call the municipality to come and check it for you. If your line is clear to the street, the fault is not yours.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
All my 1/2" and 3/4" cable machines are 100 feet

Reason being I rather have extra cable then not enough to reach the main sewer

Leonard W. Mendoza

Reaction score
There are some places where the first thing that I prefer to do is to check all the main-hole on the street to see if there is any kind of backed up there. If you are unable to that, than I would suggest you to go and call for a municipality to come and check it for you. And it is definitely not your fault if your line is clear to the street.

Gokudomo

Reaction score
So I thought I would check for a cleanout between house and street, no luck. So I started digging so I could install one myself.

I run into this cast iron into a larger hollow concrete pipe? ... help/advice and how to proceed?

Attachments

• 20170916_172618.jpg
    20170916_172618.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 20170916_172632.jpg
    20170916_172632.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 20170916_173134.jpg
    20170916_173134.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 391

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might just be a sleeve to go under the sidewalk or what ever the concrete pad is. Can you dig on the other side?

Gokudomo

Reaction score
It might just be a sleeve to go under the sidewalk or what ever the concrete pad is. Can you dig on the other side?

It's about a 1.5' raised flower bed with tons of roots and rocks (very annoying) all the way to street. My thought is that the sleeve would run the whole length.

Attachments

• 20170916_174509.jpg
    20170916_174509.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 364

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those tree roots may have gotten into the pipe. A few small roots can get in at a crack or a joint and then stuff starts to hang up.

Gokudomo

Reaction score

Looks like more than just a sleeve. Would that go all the way to the sewer main? Whatever that black material is, it's soft and rotted. I can put my finger through it.

Attachments

• 20170917_134313.jpg
    20170917_134313.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 345

Gokudomo

Reaction score
I'm being told it's a bell transition and it would be $1500 to put a cleanout in place... anyone know someone that will do it for less?

I had roto rooter out to clean the line where I got in... he couldn't get a foot past the black soft spot. He says the line is probably broken as his blades were shiny. He did manage to pull out 2 small clumps of roots. He suggest I dig under the sidewalk and see if the pipe is broken since that's where he couldn't get past. Whatever I get done, sounds like it's going to get expensive.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might be Orangeburg pipe. It is soft pipe that was used instead of cast iron. It was made out of heavy duty paper and a tar like material. If it is Orangeburg pipe I would replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks