Complete bathroom remodel

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lordoftheflies, May 9, 2017.

1. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

Ok I set the bathtub in some sandmix. I was too freaked out about the time and getting everything right since I literally had one shot at doing it.

For the ledger boards the instructions for the tub were not 100% clear....but it basically said I needed ledger boards all around. Given that I had to cut out part of the subfloor (not all of it since I nothing to nail into if I had done that) I ended up finding this product on the interwebs. I wonder what you pros think about it. I'll tell you it sure made life easy for me to be able to dry fit, level the tub with shims on the front apron, and then apply a thick bead of silicone caulk to all 3 walls.

The crazy thing about the Tub Mount system is that they don't even process online payments. I had to find their phone number and call them up...and then they didn't even take payment. They sent the product and asked me to send them a check! Talk about the honor system! I could probably help them out on the technical side in getting that up and running....

It's pretty cool - you get these steel straps which you bend a 90 around the 2x4. One screw goes on the bottom, 2 screws on the side of the 2x4.....Then you use one of their washer head screws in the slot. You bend the top of the strap away from the stud to allow you to use an additional slot with a screwdriver to raise the tub. You tap the bent tab to lower the tub. And the first step is to make sure you level the apron.

2019-05-27 18.29.58.jpg

2019-05-27 18.30.04.jpg

2019-05-27 18.29.36.jpg

2019-05-27 18.29.39.jpg

Here I decided not to drill into the lip of the tap and instead used some large washers and the screws the Tub Mount system came with. I suppose I could just pre-drill a hole and use just the screws and then dab each one with silicone. Any opinions? The way I have it now I'll have to notch out the kerdi board ever so slightly at each washer location.

2019-05-27 18.29.46.jpg

Before I got the tub mount I was failing miserably at trying to level the tub as you can see by the holes.

2019-05-27 15.32.06.jpg

2. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

Being a bit on the paranoid side (my buddy says I overkill everything) I decided to go into the crawl space and check the mortar. I made the bed about 2" high and didn't use piles. In hindsight it probably would have made life easier. Anyways, once I got in there I felt like I didn't have enough mortar so I rushed out to box store and got another bag of sand mix and shoved it in manually the hard way. It was not comfortable nor pleasant but judging by this video, I think the mission got accomplished. I might buy another bag and just fill in the area to the left of the drain (from the point of view of the video looking from the drain side wall down the length of the tub).

I tried to make the mortar as dry as possible and probably didn't do a good enough job of mixing at the bottom of the bucket....so the last part came out looking a little wetter than the rest. But, it was basically just as Jadnashua said to do it - wet enough so I could make a clump in my hand but no water came out when I squeezed it.

2019-05-27 19.45.45.jpg 2019-05-27 19.47.30.jpg

Since I was there I figured I'd shove in some extra silicone just to make sure I don't get any squeaks in the future.

2019-05-27 19.47.34.jpg

3. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

4. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

I added some more mortar near the front of the tub on both sides of the drain. Let it set for a few days (no rush heh heh) and now the tub is SOLID.

Also boxed up the exhaust fan. My electrician buddy screwed me by putting the hole so close to the tub. He also (without my knowledge) cut through a load bearing stud on the exterior wall. I had to sister all the walls anyways because it was 1.5" out of plumb. Going to use kerdi board for the box since it is so close to the tub. In fact the shower curtain rod will sit just under it.

Since the walls were so out of plumb I need to build up the top plate. On a bit of it 2x3 will work, on the right side I used 3/4" plywood and some 1/4" lattice. That stuff is expensive - $1.20/lft wtf!

And of course the ceiling is not level. Not much I can do about that but I leveled the bottom edge of the box.

2019-06-04 09.47.30.jpg 2019-06-08 18.01.22.jpg 2019-06-08 18.01.26.jpg

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How about a shower curtain track instead of a shower curtain rod.

6. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

Well the box is in the way. And it's too late anyways since I bought a solid, curved, 66" rod. :D Getting a custom made medium weight linen curtain with an accent stripe. 84" wide x 72" tall with a liner. It's standard height but went wider because of the 66" tub and the curved rod. I have a standard 72" wide curtain on a curved rod atm and it barely covers the opening which isn't even 60" since there were multiple layers of sheetrock on both sides.

7. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

Just realized that if I do tile the box I won't be able to get to the duct if I ever needed to. Maybe I will leave the bottom exposed with a small access panel........Although one should never have to get in there again.....

8. lordoftheflies

lordoftheflies Member

Picking up 16 sheets (4'x8') of NationalGypsum purple XP mildew/moisture/mold resistant 1/2" drywall for the bathroom. Going to use it for the ceilings as well as the hallway since I have my water lines in my false wall. $12.xx a sheet locally. Time to rip out the seats in the sienna. And I have to figure out where the heck to store 16 sheets of drywall now. I'm thinking the best place is in my bedroom (next to bathroom) which means I gotta clean out all the crap that already being "stored" there temporarily. Fun times ahead.

Picked up one of those Stanley Panel Carry handles. This should aid in transporation.

Also picked up some mildew resistand drywall mesh tape.

[​IMG]