Comparisons Niagara vs Gerber vs Mansfield

Users who are viewing this thread

JWCWI

Reaction score
I am trying to determine which toilet to recommend to Multi-family housing units with the major selling point of water conservation. The options I have are Gerber, Niagara, and Mansfield. I want to make sure that they are easy to install, easy to maintain, don't have any major problems and can save the most amount of water. Please share any thoughts or experiences you have had with these lines.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
All three are junk brands and will not do what you are looking for them to do. A Toto Dalton would be a far better option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Gerber gravity toilets use generic parts as do the Mansfield.
The Niagara uses their own parts, so you would need parts from them.

What price range are you talking about?
There are plenty of "builder grade" toilets "spec"ed in.
They are my bread and butter replacing them. But I know where the builders are coming from, I did some home building myself.
A "Competitive" toilet is meant to fill the hole and get the home sold. Many of my customers have me come over on "move in" day and pull all of the competitive toilets and replace them.
If you are really looking at something better, I would suggest something in the 500 gram range, nothing below.
Spec a model that has parts that can be found at Lowe's, and a model with a good track record.

Toilets that I remove are the Mansfield Alto, and Gerber Aqua Saver.
Toilets that I refuse to sell because of repair issues are the Niagara. I got tired of having to carry two of everything in the truck to complete one install.
And you can only get parts for the breaking handles from Niagara.

[video][/video]

Last edited:

JWCWI

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping to get a more positive response but since these are the compainies I can work with, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. What do you look for when compareing toilets. I am lost on how to compare toilets. And b/c the Niagara "Stealth" is new, do you know of where I can find how durable/reliable they are and how long they will last.

Also, what kind of maintenance should be done and how regular should it be done? I imagine flappers need to be replaced 4 to 5 years or so, but is there anything else excluding fixing problems as they occur?

Thanks again for any information anybody can share.

[video][/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The MAP tests are one way, but that test is not perfect...people don't lay down plastic lined tubes of waste and the manufacturers have learned how to make their stuff look good. Anything over 500g on that test is likely adequate, but really low numbers should be avoided. What are your limitations? Cost per item, or restrictions on vendor? Toto has a decent, low-cost toilet that outperforms those indicated. They also make lots more that have more 'style', but not necessarily better performance (most do, but it is often overkill).

mattv79

Reaction score
Several larges jobs have been done in your area with great sucess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks