Commercial water heater in a regular house?

Users who are viewing this thread

DustinH

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but, can a commercial water heater be installed in a regular residential house? Assuming one wanted to pay the higher cost of a commercial water heater, are the hookups similar? We live in California and I'm wondering if there are codes that prevent it or just plain sense reasons not to do it? Seems like the commercial tank water heaters have a higher duty cycle (for lack of better terminology) than residential ones.

Wife and I tried a tankless system and it's just not suiting us well so I've been thinking about switching back to a tank but, if I'm going to do it I'd like to get the best bang for my buck and something that can reheat the water quickly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for comments on the HTP Phoenix light duty.

The light duty bit is relative to it being a commercial grade WH.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes have Installed and worked on many Commercial waters in houses,
the thing is you need a 6" vent and a 3/4" gas supply, unless you go with the aforementioned HTP PHOENIX

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
My experience is limited in this, but I'll put in my two cents worth.

Had a customer who wanted to get rid of a pair of water heaters and install a large one in order to save space. So, I took out two fifties and installed an 80 gal gas. The flue was 4" rather than 3" each, and the connections were 1" for the water in and out instead of 3/4in.

I thought it was odd that the 80 had only a one year warranty

It lasted three months and started leaking like a loose diaper.

So, if you're looking to install a water heater that in your house that's meant to feed dishwashers in a Waffle House 24 hours a day until it dies, maybe it's not the best idea.

Something to think about. Maybe there's a super-duper w/h out there that's way better than everything else, but I don't know what it might be.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Wife and I tried a tankless system and it's just not suiting us well so I've been thinking about switching back to a tank but, if I'm going to do it I'd like to get the best bang for my buck and something that can reheat the water quickly."

So you've had a tankless WH. That probably wasn't such a good experience.

As much as we hate/love the natural gas tank WHs, there are still the best we can find. Invented in 1890 by RUUD, a Norwegian scientist who worked at Westinghouse, it hasn't changed much since. At some point I thought that solar WHs were going to take over the USA, like they've done in some other countries, but I guess not yet.

Get a high recovery tank WH, which will give you hotter water in less time. Make, model and size - up to you, there are endless suggestions online.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
There is nothing in the California Plumbing Code that would prohibit you from installing a tank style commercial water heater in your home.

The Polaris tank I installed in my home has been working flawlessly since 1996. They are made by America Water Heaters. The tank is stainless steel and it is high recovery.

As with any high efficiency appliance, it is direct vent, 2 or 3 inch plastic, and you must provide piping for the condensate discharge.

My customers with identical units are also satisfied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks