Commercial plumbing - trench drains in rows

Users who are viewing this thread

Matthew Shultz

Plumbing Designer, EIT
Reaction score
Website
summitmep.com
Hi all,

I work on a lot of new construction warehouses which have trench drains running the length of aisles of racking of different products, whether it be fruits, milk, soup, anything that can create a spill that needs to be washed down. I am running into trouble trying to get these trench drains vented properly. Currently on this renovation, I am looking at plans (originally drawn by others) that show the trench drains being Circuit vented per IPC 914, but the vents are shown to extend up to bottom of slab, then hold tight to slab, routed to a column, then routed up through roof.

1652803057452.png

I don't think this is allowed as the vent needs to come up above the flood rim of the drains, correct? The vents are shown as pink in the image above, drain lines are green, and trenches in white. The racking is contained within the white box, with walking access around the outside.

I'm curious as to how others are installing drains like this. I need to rework these drawings to avoid the venting errors and want to avoid putting vents in walkways.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"I don't think this is allowed as the vent needs to come up above the flood rim of the drains, correct? "

In my opinion you are Correct

Personally when in doubt I contact the building department and run this though the chief plumbing inspector

In 1982 I was doing an acid waste system using Duriron and had a plumbing question and called the Manhattans building inspector and he was really nasty saying Are you a licensed master plumber" ? I said yes and he said "Then you should know the answer"

I drove down to Manhattan and asked to speak to the building commissioner and told him NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING about plumbing I called prior to installing .

The commissioner smiled and called the plumbing inspector in his office ands asked him the same question I inquired about

The inspector did not know the answer and he was fired.

I also told the commissioner when I was a federal low pressure boiler inspector and someone asked a question relating to the ASME / NBBI I took their phone number and said I would get back to them and look up and get back to them with the answer .

Anyone who does not question something is a moron. Your venting here is really a judgement call and good luck finding a proper answer

Personally I always vent a floor drain within 15 feet and of course above the flood level rim

Attachments

• deplomas.jpg
    deplomas.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 88

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
We do our own thing here in WI, but it is similar to the bigger codes in places, so I don't know if IPC specifies this like our code does, but so long as you roll the initial vent fitting up past the spring line, the vent can run under the slab until you need to bring it up. Only wall outlet fixtures require their vent to not go horizontal until above the floor level rim of the fixture. Dig in to the code, see if there is any clarification.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ipc is very relaxed on this subject. There are many configurations that are ipc compliant that do not seem right. What you describe is one such instance. The logic is that the piping is oversized for air passage and the volume of water along with the size of a theoretical clog would be unlikely. So yes if your in an ipc jurisdiction it's probably allowed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I cant make sence of drawing its real puzzling to me. but arent circuit vents always verticle I mean the fixtures are venting through the main horrizontal but then there is a dry vent that must be verticle

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks