Commercial Kitchen Coffee Brewer Supply Line - Massachusetts

Users who are viewing this thread

Kitchen Guy

Reaction score
I'm a chef installing a commercial coffee brewer in a commercial kitchen in a very old building. There is an existing 3/4" valve for a long gone washing machine on the ceiling directly below where the coffee station is going. Would it be legal in Massachusetts (which has the strictest plumbing laws I've ever encountered in 20+ years of running kitchens nationwide) to run a braided supply line up through the floor to the coffee machine fittings?

Would it be better to reduce from the 3/4" valve immediately and run copper tubing?

Or, should I violate plumbing code (because I am not a licensed plumber) and replace the valve with a modern ball valve and run 1/2" copper up to coffee station, which is probably the right way to do it?
Coffee water hookup - 1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would add a tee there and extend a line to the floor where the coffee brewer is, adding a shutoff that is accessible for that.
Nobody likes a shutoff that isn't findable when needed.

Kitchen Guy

Reaction score
Add a Tee after the valve, or remove the old valve and add one?

You are 100% correct about having a shutoff near the brewer rather than in the basement. Retrofitting this old building that has had dozens of other modifications over the past 100 years to meet kitchen health and safety codes has been an education in and of itself.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Remove the valve, add the tee and then you can still have the washer shutoff there.
Once you have that off though, it's a few dollars to replace that too. Okay, what constitutes "a few" ? Not much.

Where I'm at, we have a Facebook page where we lament all of the places we went to that were torn down and replaced with new infrastructure. The new stuff is nice, it's more just kind of funny that our memories of most all the places we went to are gone now.

The tallest building was four stories tall growing up. And even that was a new building. That's gone, surrounded by high rises at least 50 stories tall.
The street I grew up on, built in the early 50's has all been replaced with homes that are about 5,000 square feet.

Kitchen Guy

Reaction score
Remove the valve, add the tee and then you can still have the washer shutoff there.
Once you have that off though, it's a few dollars to replace that too. Okay, what constitutes "a few" ? Not much.

Where I'm at, we have a Facebook page where we lament all of the places we went to that were torn down and replaced with new infrastructure. The new stuff is nice, it's more just kind of funny that our memories of most all the places we went to are gone now.

The tallest building was four stories tall growing up. And even that was a new building. That's gone, surrounded by high rises at least 50 stories tall.
The street I grew up on, built in the early 50's has all been replaced with homes that are about 5,000 square feet.
I worked in Seattle/Tacoma for about 5 years in the late 90s early 00s as everything was exploding. I went back a few years ago and was astounded at what had changed. And now, I could never afford to move back. My little $125k house in the Proctor neighborhood of Tacoma that I bought in '97 and sold in in 03 for $220 has a new 2000 sq ft addition and is now worth almost $1M. My mind can't even comprehend that.

Old buildings are nice to look at, but from a kitchen point of view, anything short of a gut and rebuild from the inside out is a pain in the butt.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks