Comments needed on current installation - photos

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
Hello - it's me again. I think this may be the last question I need to ask, if you'll bear with me. I'm wondering about the current setup and if it looks like the normal way of hooking up a water heater, I've included some photos for inspection. thanks again!

I'm mainly concerned about all the hoops and bends on these copper flex pipes - it seems kind of extreme, and maybe stressing the pipes, although there's no leaks.

HNtjR34l.jpg

ujtjKVZl.jpg

1eEa4TPl.jpg

I was also wanting to make sure I understand which pipe is which - I assume the pipe on the right with the shut off valve is the cold water in pipe, and the first branch of the one on the left which goes into the wall behind the water heater is the pipe that supplies hot water to the house. But, I'm really not sure about the second branching of the left pipe that goes up to the attic - vent pipe maybe? That is where the leak that ruined this water heater happened, and you can see my amateurish patch job with sharkbite fittings to connect the old PB line to the copper line (the leak was a pinhole leak that formed in the inside elbow of a 90 degree PB fitting and sprayed on the side of the water heater all night).

GfxmriKl.jpg

0dyS5ofl.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those corrugated copper supply pipes are designed to bend, but not be bent back and forth again later...they should be fine. The WH normally is marked on the top which tap is the in and out or cold and hot. With some hot water running, it should be easy to tell, as with water running, the inlet should be cold (after a moment) and the outlet should be hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks