1. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Hi all,

On a horizontal run, is there a preference between using a wye or combo if you have a choice? The wye has less change in direction and has a shorter run, but maybe a combo has a smoother transition? Is one less prone to clogging? Or am I just overthinking this? If anything, is one way standard?

Thanks!
    -Aaron

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The less change of direction the better. I use wyes whenever I can.

Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Wyes it is then. Thank you!!

5. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

If you're running through joists, the solution with wyes may require extra holes. And multiple holes through the same joist have to be separated by at least 2" of wood, which will limit your wye placement somewhat.

Personally, if it would reduce the number of holes in joists by 2 or more, I'd go with combos.

Cheers, Wayne

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    I use combos for a 90 degree turn. Since the 45 bend can point directly to the end point THEN I would use a Y.