Combo Anode Plastic Section of rod stuck - Ideas on how to Extract it

Users who are viewing this thread

cloves

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an AO Smith Vertex. I am in the process of replacing the anode rods. The inlet water anode rod is a combo rod with the plastic in-between as shown in the photo. While removing the anode rod the middle disconnected/rboke from the plastic part inside the pipe. I was wondering if anyone had an any ideas on how to remove the inside plastic and remaining anode? Looks like the new design has two notches built into the plastic part that could be used to place some sort of pliers to pull up on.

I attached an image for removing a Bradford white anode rod, but I believe this is just for the outside nipple and not the plastic part inside that holds the anode rod.

Thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG1425.jpg
    IMAG1425.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMAG1426.jpg
    IMAG1426.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Anode Rod Replacement Capture.jpg
    Anode Rod Replacement Capture.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 377

Reach4

Reaction score
You can just let the old anode fragment sit in the tank.

cloves

Reaction score
Thank Reach,

I am bone head I was on the inlet side of the hole, that blue plastic part is just a tube that goes all the way down. The front anode is on the outlet pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks