Combining T@P piping, Single family

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by Steve Sorensen, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Steve Sorensen

Steve Sorensen In the Trades

We recently installed a boiler and hydronic heat system in a new home, and our installer combined the 3/4" T & P piping from the boiler and the hot water tank into a single 1" line to drain. He said that was ok since he was upping the size of the pipe to 1", but our inspector said that is only ok in multi family structures.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would love to show the inspector verbiage from the UPC stating this is ok in single family residences, but I'm no expert on the UPC. I've worked with this installer plenty, and he is very experienced. Also, I know everyone makes mistakes... Either way I would love some clarification one way or the other.

Thanks!
    Steve

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can check out this link.

https://www.caphcc.org/2015-upc-code-update-water-supply-and-distribution-discharge-piping/

Check out 6

3. Discharge pipe shall discharge independently by gravity through an air gap into the drainage system or outside of the building with the end of the pipe not exceeding 2 feet (610 mm) and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the ground and pointing downwards.

Independently.
    I have combined reliefs on multi-family condos and apartments with the inspectors OK. I hadn't really thought about it on single family. It's pretty common to tie reliefs from two water heaters, but then those aren't boilers either.

Steve Sorensen likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Steve Sorensen likes this.
  4. Steve Sorensen

Steve Sorensen In the Trades

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the quick response! That seems pretty clear to me. I will let our installer know that he will have to stop grumbling about the inspector.

Thanks again!