Cold water valve still leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

stormin

Reaction score
I installed new cartridges and faucet seats and springs in my older delta 2 handle tub faucets and the cold water side is still leaking. It looks like it is leaking behind the wall, not from the shower head or spout (diverter). Is this because my supply lines which are probably 20-30 years old are worn out and the cartridges and seats just won't seat right to make a proper seal?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Age of supply piping would not affect seats and springs unless you have eternally rusty galvanized pipe, which is worthless.

stormin

Reaction score
I installed new cartridges and faucet seats and springs in my older delta 2 handle tub faucets and the cold water side is still leaking. It looks like it is leaking behind the wall, not from the shower head or spout (diverter). Is this because my supply lines which are probably 20-30 years old are worn out and the cartridges and seats just won't seat right to make a proper seal?

Age of supply piping would not affect seats and springs unless you have eternally rusty galvanized pipe, which is worthless.
Thank you for your response about my problem. What could be the possible cause of such a leak if i have a new cartridge and seat installed. I was going to tighten the cartridge more but I was afraid I might tighten it too much and cause another problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of shower valve is it that you have? Single handle where the ball touches the seats and springs in the back? Or a 2 handle with cartridges?

Either way, the cartridge or ball does need to be seated down all the way so that the seal is in the correct position. If they aren't you can get water leaking around those seals.

If that isn't the case, then you need to investigate further where the leak would be coming from. If you can or have the valve reasembled, and with the cover plate(s) off, you should be able to observe if you can see water dripping behind the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks