Cold water supply line connected to cast iron main stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

jak85

Reaction score
This is a picture of my attic bathroom, the cast iron pipe goes out the roof. The house was built in 1928 in Florida with additions made in the 60's or 70's I believe. I've got a galv water line that comes up from my first story bathroom and then T's out from there with one of the lines from the T supplying my faucets and toilet and the other to my shut off valve for the water heater where it then T's off again from there and runs into that cast iron pipe in the picture. I thought it might be some kind of pressure relief line or something. Any idea what that would be for? I've asked around and no one seems to have a clue.
2nvkIIo.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without seeing what you got, it sounds to me like this galvanized pipe is being used as WH T&P emergency drain.
In my city it would be a code violation.

jak85

Reaction score
Without seeing what you got, it sounds to me like this galvanized pipe is being used as WH T&P emergency drain.
In my city it would be a code violation.
It's connected directly to the water supply line behind the shut-off valve for the water heater and from there it goes to that cast iron pipe. I'll try and take some pictures of the entire pipe later today. It has some fittings on it, but I'm not sure what pressure relief valves from that long ago look like.

jak85

Reaction score
I took some more pictures for you guys. There is a rounded looking elbow that I'm not familiar with, it seems to have a cap or something on the back side, any ideas?

rSryI94.jpg
WgQiTTx.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the new picture, you have iron pipe going into a brass shut off valve, and the result is rust.
Time to dump all galvanized pipes and replace them with something better.

jak85

Reaction score
In the new picture, you have iron pipe going into a brass shut off valve, and the result is rust.
Time to dump all galvanized pipes and replace them with something better.

I just installed that shut off a few weeks ago when I removed the water heater (bad to mix metals I know), I plan on taking out as much of that galv. line as I can and replacing with PEX. I just haven't got to the plumbing phase yet in my bathroom remodel and this connection into the cast iron pipe just has me confused. I'd like to disconnect it and then perhaps plug it up with a fitting, but didn't want to mess with it until I actually knew what it was.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That may be a 125 PSI relief on the cold side. Some places do that when you can't drain the T&P on a water heater.
I have seen some inspectors allow that on a vent above the flood level in a home, not code, but winked by.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks