Cold water pipe vibrates only in the evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Vincejr

Reaction score
So I live in a apartment complex about 9 one floor apartments. This started about 6 months ago the first time this happened. I thought I had air in the pipes so I shut off the cold water valve opened up all the cold faucets in the apartment. Waited 15 min turned on the main cold water. Valve slowly half way then back opened all the way that took care of the problem.Till now its been doing it every evening its only the cold water pipe. I can feel the vibration in the cold water pipe going to the toilet and shower.

Only happens in the evening never in the day. I have been able to stop it by opening the cold water to the shower bathroom sink and flushing the toilet 5 times. I replaced the toilet flapper and the ball cock when this happened the first time. Any ideas I I'm think it might be high water pressure who knows.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Garden hose thread pressure gauges are under $20, often well under. You can put one on a laundry tap or water heater drain.
2. If you suspect the toilet is involved, you could close the stop valve, at the water, for the toilet.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you saying it only happens when the cold water is running? Any particular fixture? As for the toilet as a cause, it could be the shut off valve. If it a full turn stop valve the seat washers have a tendency to deteriorate and it may be vibrating. Why only in evening could be the pressure is lower. As Reach suggest get a pressure gauge.

Another possibility is the main pipe feeding the apartments. In the evening more water is in use throughout the building and water is flowing faster. A valve in the main maybe the cause.

Vincejr

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I ordered a water pressure meter. I can still feel the vibration on the cold water pipe. Only at the toilet and the the shower handle. I turned off the water to the toilet. And I could feel the vibration at the shower handle . It never vibrates in the day. It starts right around sunset. And goes away around 4 am. I'm thinking it's the water pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I ordered a water pressure meter. I can still feel the vibration on the cold water pipe. Only at the toilet and the the shower handle. I turned off the water to the toilet. And I could feel the vibration at the shower handle . It never vibrates in the day. It starts right around sunset. And goes away around 4 am. I'm thinking it's the water pressure.
Ask a couple of neighbors if they have detected something similar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks