Cold water pipe and vanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

mphhammer2000

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for years and now have come looking for advice. I have a new vanity I'm going to be installing in the bathroom. Unfortunatly the cold water supply comes out of the wall in bad place for the cabinet. Its right in the middle of a where the divider for the drawers is located. I can't drill a hole there. The pipe comes into the stud cavity vertically. I noticed that there is a lot of play in the pipe and by cutting the drywall I can actually push the pipe over a couple of inches. Before I do that is there any concern that will cause any problems? Will it stress the pipe? below are two pictures. One in it's natural position and the other pushed over.

Thanks!
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No not a good idea. If it PEX it has a lot of give and it'll usually be ok. Anything else as you are correct about putting stress on the pipe and fitting. Do you know the pipe type?

mphhammer2000

Reaction score
No not a good idea. If it PEX it has a lot of give and it'll usually be ok. Anything else as you are correct about putting stress on the pipe and fitting. Do you know the pipe type?
It's copper. I can get at the wall in the attic but was hoping to avoid sweating pipe.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
depends how tight it is strapped it could be loose as a goose . and that looks like barely over an inch

mphhammer2000

Reaction score
depends how tight it is strapped it could be loose as a goose . and that looks like barely over an inch
It's not strapped at all. Been that way since it was built in the 60's. I was going to strap the hot and cold so they don't get pushed around too much in the cabinet. Also you are correct in the picture it is an inch. I just measured again and only actually need 1/2 inch so I think it will be ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks