Cold Water intake leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnWis

Reaction score
Hi everyone - would appreciate any info/guidance you could provide on this. We have lived at our house for ~2 years, and our hot water heater is 20+ years old. I awoke this am to dripping sounds coming from my water heater. I've shut the (gas) tank off and closed the (red) hot water output valve. The leak is coming from the end of the thin copper coil, that is attached to the cold water intake...and goes nowhere (it is simply pinched at the end). The leak had been a steady drip with the system on, and has slowed considerably since turning it off.

Questions: 1) What is the purpose of this thin coil at the cold water intake?; 2) Any suggestions on what might be the cause, and how serious this is?

Thanks in advance!!!
IMG_0194.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That was a water line to a refrigerator or to a humidifier. With only a wrench, shut off the water to the house, take off the old stop valve and replaced it. It is a compression fitting so the original nut will stay on the copper pipe. Also get a 3/8" or 1/4" cap nut to go over the output end of the valve. Just extra assurance. These stop valves go bad because the washer used do deteriorate. You can replace the valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
Questions: 1) What is the purpose of this thin coil at the cold water intake?;
Where does the other end go? If it is open, it may have gone to a humidifier in the past. The copper was coiled up in case another humidifier would be put in later.

Are you sure that is the cold water side?

2) Any suggestions on what might be the cause, and how serious this is?
Is that red mark on the photo your mark to indicate where the leak is? Can you give the connector another 1/4 turn to tighten?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

JohnWis

Reaction score
Thanks so much for these tips...you guys are awesome!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks