COLD IN HOT WATER LINE

Users who are viewing this thread

JOHN T

Reaction score
IN ALL MY FAUCETS, IT TAKES AT LEAST 60 SECONDS TO GET HOT WATER. THE WATER COMES OUT COLD AT THE BEGINNING. I LIVE IN FL AND MY PIPING IS IN THE ATTIC, WHICH IS HOT ALL THE TIME. COULD MY COLD WATER BE OVERRIDING THE PRESSURE IN THE HOT WATER LINE?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The water lines may run in the attic, but they also run in the walls. That portion of the house is likely air conditioned. Depending on how long it was since your last water draw, the insulation levels, where in relation to the a/c ducts, and where in the wall the pipe is run (closer to the room or the outside) will all affect how cool that water gets.

A lavatory faucet runs about a max of 2gpm, so with a typical 1/2" pipe, is moving around 2'/second. Then, it takes the pipe a bit to absorb the heat and account for whatever distance it is to the water heater itself.

If the wait is longer than you want, you might consider a hot water recirculation system.

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
IN ALL MY FAUCETS, IT TAKES AT LEAST 60 SECONDS TO GET HOT WATER. THE WATER COMES OUT COLD AT THE BEGINNING. I LIVE IN FL AND MY PIPING IS IN THE ATTIC
Same here. Ditto. Likewise. Unless this just started, join the rest of us in our concrete bunkers with the water heater on one end of the house and bathrooms on the other end.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.... COULD MY COLD WATER BE OVERRIDING THE PRESSURE IN THE HOT WATER LINE?

Not possible unless you have a cross over somewhere. That is such as a shower faucet with both the cold and hot water on and the water is shut off at the shower head. If you had a crossover it would hardly get hot at all.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A lot of installers (plumbers) forget or do not know about a 27" loop on the cold water supply to a hot water tank.

This loop prevents stratification of hot water molecules from entering the cold water line

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In FL, as in AZ, the water lines are often in the attic and when water is NOT flowing it gets as hot as the attic is, so the water has to be emptied from the pipes before you can get "cold" water. Cold water being about 85 degrees normally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks