Code requirements re: GFCI outlet close to toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Waylo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm building a home and will be installing an electrical outlet on the back wall adjacent to the toilet to power a bidet. Are there any codes/regulations regarding how close to the toilet an outlet may be?

cst446-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't believe the NEC specifies a minimum distance between the receptacle and the toilet, just that the receptacle has to be GFCI protected.

It does require that the GFCI device protecting the receptacle be "readily accessible". That means (2014 version): "Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth."

Cheers, Wayne

Waylo

Reaction score
Thanks both of you for the quick replies! I went to inspect the site today (electrical just got started this week) and the electrician put them pretty far up on the perpendicular wall instead of on the back wall. Just wanted to check before I tell them to move it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks