Code Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kind of a trick question.

The laundry room needs one. The dryer can also be plugged into it.

Can another outlet in the same room be on it????

jaxbldginspector

Reaction score
I think I found the answer:

NEC 220-4 (c) Laundry Branch Circuits-Dwelling Unit. In addition to the number of branch circuits determined in accordance with (a) and (b) above, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by Section 210-52(f). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Thanks

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I think I found the answer:

NEC 220-4 (c) Laundry Branch Circuits-Dwelling Unit. In addition to the number of branch circuits determined in accordance with (a) and (b) above, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by Section 210-52(f). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Thanks

Are you still on the 1996 code cycle?
What you have quoted is from that cycle!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

And, as an aside, here, when there is an electric dryer, the washer outlet is a single device receptacle so nothing except the washer can be plugged into it.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
And, as an aside, here, when there is an electric dryer, the washer outlet is a single device receptacle so nothing except the washer can be plugged into it.

Do you have anything in writing to back up that statement?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I agree. If that is an actual code there must be a written amendment to back it up.
That certainly is not an NEC requirement.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
outlet

It is just the way the electicians do it, and they do the same with other outlets such as a freezer or garage wall air conditioner that should not be connected to a GFCI so that no one can plug an extension cord into the same outlet and not be GFCI protected while using it.

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
Circuit for washing machine

According to the NEC, it allows more than one receptacle outlet to be installed on the 20-ampere laundry branch-circuit. If you have a gas dryer, both the gas dryer and washing machine can be plugged into the same 20-ampere circuit, however, if the UL Labeling and Listing of the products specify that they must be on their own 20-ampere branch circuit, then 110-3(B) takes precedent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks