Code Question: MC cable touching copper water pipe in ceiling. Problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

PabNYC

Reaction score
It is an easy fix either way but a contractor was at my house the other day and mentioned that in the ceiling the MC cable was touching the copper water lines and it was a problem.

Is this:
A: A problem (code violation?) and why?
B: Not a problem

Thanks!

PabNYC

Reaction score
In most areas I can just secure the electrical cable tighter to the ceiling with clamps but in tighter areas would it be sufficient to use the foam pipe insulation to prevent contact between the two?

Thanks!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Not necessarily, it depends on what the MC is touching or exposed to.

NEC 330.12(4)

330.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(4) Where subject to cinder fills, strong chlorides, caustic alkalis, or vapors of chlorine or of hydrochloric acids

It is an easy fix either way but a contractor was at my house the other day and mentioned that in the ceiling the MC cable was touching the copper water lines and it was a problem. Thanks!

Damn, I thouhgt you were for real for a second but then I came back to reality.

What the original poster asked is in no way a problem except is the mind of some untrained, uneducated guessers.

sparkie

In the Trades
Reaction score
Problem?

There is no code violaton here. Personally, I would prefer for MC not to touch the copper water pipe. Often this is where corrosion is seen. Perhaps due to different types of metal.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Our inspectors do not want ANY electical wire touching a plumbing water line. And are not too crazy about drain lines.

Seems the sparky's up here think our pipes are for supporting their wires. Gets really annoying once the home theater guys have followed suite along with the central air pipes basket weaving through all the PEX, too. :mad:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sparky

What's really annoying is when you predrill your holes and the electricians think that is a convenient place to run their wires through. Or, that the center of a 4" wall is the best place for their Romex or conduit, especially if they can see a plumbing pipe coming out of the floor right beneath it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like when they mount their panel above the stubs in the slab for the water and sewer lines...

Thats rocket science!

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Oh give me a break you guys. Plumber are FAR worse with the "I am the only one on the job" mentality.

BTW HJ, YES, the center of a 4" stud IS the ONLY place to run the wire.

A) ANY electrician who uses a plumbing pipe to support his wires is a hack.
B) ANY electrician who uses someone else's drill holes in framing is a jerk.
3) ANY electrician who puts a panel right above pipes stubbed out of a slab is either a dumbass or was told to do so by the builder.

What about the plumber who runs a vent stack from a bath vanity sink right straight up from the sink, knowing full well that there will be a vanity light dead center over the sink?

It goes both ways guys, and out stuff is WAY more flexible that yours, remember that. You can push a wire out of your way, I cannot mount a pancake box right to your vent stack!

TheElectricalGuru

National Electrical Code Expert/Speaker/Educator
Reaction score
Website
www.TheElectricalGuru.com
lol....man I get a chuckle when I read some of these posts...lol.....

NO it is not a violation of the NEC, and what I think someone was trying to make reference too was 110.14 in regards to dissimilar metals....BUT since we are not talking about terminations.....who cares....110.14 would not apply ANYWHERE in that question....

so.....yet again as far as the NEC is concerned...no violation of the MC touching the metal waterpipe.....and hopefully if they DO have metal water pipes they have done their work to meet 250.104(A)(1) anyway....no worries.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
From a carpenter's view... electricians and plumbers BOTH suck, and NEITHER ought to be allowed near a sawzall!

:D

But seriously... there's nothing on this in the electical codes, but isn't there something in the plumbing code? I know they have to use copper hangers on copper pipes, and you're supposed to use copper nails in those hangers... same logic, no? Dissimilar metals = corrosion?

Might want to cross-post this in plumbing.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Although in this case it is not a code violation, it should be addressed so it does not cause a problem in the future.

Remember, codes are minimum standards, minimum. The electrician was right to point this out.

TheElectricalGuru

National Electrical Code Expert/Speaker/Educator
Reaction score
Website
www.TheElectricalGuru.com
Jar,

May I ask what problem it will cause if it did touch? Considering the galvonic reaction usually takes a catalyst to happen I guess I would be interested in knowing what you think would happen in a closed ceiling and a MC touching the pipe?

Not being a SmartA$$...just wanted your view on it.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
My view is that I have inspected thousands of homes from brand new to ove 200 years old and found that in many cases whenever the two metals touch there is a problem. Whether pinhole leaks that start by simply rubbing the copper with your fingernail to the already fragile soldered copper connection deteriorating then being accelerated with the addition of a disimilar metal.

What may be approved by code or still works a couple of years later may be a problem in a few more years.

I once found a pinhole leak cause by a twist tie from a garbage bag that for whatever reason was placed on a section of copper pipe.

Depending on where you are from, the quality of the water that runs through your pipes and whether or not it is from a well or public water may cause your mileage to vary.

One of the best ones was a very expensive fix after the EGC clamp on a water main deteriorated the pipe until it burst when no one was home. It was a finished basement.

Many of you may be very familiar with new installs but I am looking at piping systems that are at or near the 100 year mark. Many of the leaks that I find are from homes that are not that old, especially when they have well water and a very low pH and a high iron content which is more than common in my area.

So no code says you cant do it but is it so hard to move it out of the way or do we need to make an issue from a 10 second fix opinion?

Xroad

Reaction score
Eh ... Sorry to interrupt ..... What is MC? New at this stuff, still learning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks