Code Question: MC cable touching copper water pipe in ceiling. Problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Eh ... Sorry to interrupt ..... What is MC? New at this stuff, still learning.

Looks like BX if that helps you. See Article 330

pACEBW-981011reg.jpg

TheElectricalGuru

National Electrical Code Expert/Speaker/Educator
Reaction score
Website
www.TheElectricalGuru.com
Interesting considering I have also inspected nearly 5,000+ homes as a Home Inspector and countless numbers as a municipal inspector and have never run into the problem. You simply can't fix stupid and the things people do which I see on a daily basis. However, I am not concerned about a piece of MC Cable touching a water pipe.....but alas thats only my opinion and if it is as simple as the electrician moving it out of the way in order to make them feel better....go for it.

Now....if the issue is BX and someone THINKS it's MC then we could have a problem in older homes because MC is not BX and the issues of improper use of the outer jacket of BX is wide spread and is a different issue...The original OP was in my opinion refering to new MC in a new installation.........BX is very different than MC of today.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Eh ... Sorry to interrupt ..... What is MC? New at this stuff, still learning.

Metal-clad.

Around here, people call it BX... I'm not sure why.

Looks like this:

mc_cable.jpg

edit: oops! there's a 2nd page...

Frenchie where you been?

Spent the summer in Italy, working for my wife's ex-emplyers / surrogate family.

There was a thread at the other place:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43392&highlight=frenchie

and I posted some more pictures, here:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=417128&highlight=siena#post417128

and a little thread, here:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23681&highlight=italy.

PabNYC

Reaction score
if the issue is BX and someone THINKS it's MC then we could have a problem in older homes because MC is not BX and the issues of improper use of the outer jacket of BX is wide spread and is a different issue...The original OP was in my opinion refering to new MC in a new installation.........BX is very different than MC of today.

In this case it is MC, not BX but what is the difference? BX has no separate ground wire and the metal sheath is carrying the ground but is there anything else that I am just not understanding??

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread.

Pab

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks