Coastal Sand Point

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Pugh

Reaction score
I live a five hundred feet from the ocean on the coast of MA. I have a sand well point I just installed for irrigation. 1 1/4 point and pipe. 3/4 HP pump and tank.
I dug down in my crawl space about two feet and hit the water/sand level. I drove the point down about six feet from there. So the top of the point is eight feet down from the top soil in the crawl space.
The pump is not pulling in water. I have good suction and prime. I was told by a local I may be too deep.

Does it matter I am in the crawl space, should there be a need for more top soil over the water sand level?

If I poor water in the pipe, how long before it should drain down to the water table.

I pulled the point out and made sure it wasn't clogged.

Again the water/sand is only a few feet down from the crawl space top soil.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are drawing directly from the well point, the top has to be sealed so it doesn't get air. So yes you may need some top soil over the sand. If you put a smaller suction pipe down the well point it will just draw what it can from that level. A well that won't take water, won't make water. So it should go down as fast as you want it to come up.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Just a side note on getting fresh water. I live on Long Island which is similar to coastal mass, at least on the cape. We have sand points here but not as many as in the old days. The old time drillers here would sometimes have to bury the points sideways because there would only be a foot or two of fresh water that would “float” on top of the salt. If the points were driven vertical it would pull fro the salt and fresh at the same time. These were usually waterfront properties.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks