Clunking pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Stargirl24

Reaction score
I have constant knocking/clucking noise in my water pipes. (I believe its my water pipes)

I live in a duplex and the whole water system is set up in their basement and is sent over to us.

The sound happens when i flush the toilet, turn on the water, wash laundry. and i just came from down stairs and even with the water not running there is still noise. Its sounds like it going on..off.on..off..on..off or fast..slow..fast...slow and the water pressure is good then is slacks off a little.

I hope i didnt confuse anyone its just hard to explain things
:confused:

also i dont know if it has anything to do with my problem but in the last 2 weeks i bought 2 plastic water hose squiters for my water hose and they have both busted for no reason.. my water hose stays on 24/7

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a bad flapper in someones toilet causing the fill valve to turn on and off as the water leaks out of the toilet and then refills.

There is 1 other thing possible your pressure regulator (PRV) may be bad and I have seen pressure so high that it turned the toilet fill valve on and off.

You also shouldn't have water running out of a hose 24/7. It will be very costly when the bill comes. I have seen bills in the 100s of $$$.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Stargirl24 said:
also i dont know if it has anything to do with my problem but in the last 2 weeks i bought 2 plastic water hose squiters for my water hose and they have both busted for no reason.. my water hose stays on 24/7

I prefer metal sprayers. You get what you pay for. Couple times dropping that plastic on the concrete and it will bust.

If you can not turn off your faucet, for whatever reason, Cass is right, bill will be big. Buy one of those little inline ball valves for hoses (similiar to what's on the little Y splitters, but its inline) and attach that to your faucet. That should buy you a little time to get things fixed up properly.

Let us know why it won't shut off and we'll help ya out.

Jason

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ditto the comments about the cheap plastic vs the better quality brass hose nozzles. If you are leaving you hose on with the nozzle closed, I hope you are using a high quality hose. Leaving a cheapo vinyl hose under pressure is asking for trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks