Clunking from Kitchen Faucet When Turning ON (AmStand 4174.501)

Users who are viewing this thread

dstrght

Reaction score
Argh! Typo in subject of my first post! Model is 4175 . . .

I know there have been some posts/thread about this general topic, but I'm hoping for specifics re my situation, please.

Problem:Clunking sound from kitchen faucet* (not pipes) when faucet is turned on.
(Almost seems as if something (diverter?) is getting stuck in the faucet when the water is running.)
-- Happens about 65+% of the time and at any temperature: now seems more frequent with cold water; used to be more with hot.
-- Doesn't happen when the aerator is off (removed from the faucet) or when using the sprayer (depressing the sprayer lever).

*American Standard Colony Soft single control kitchen faucet w/side sprayer (model 4175.501).
Brand new, professionally installed Jan 21st 2012. Replaced a decades-old, trouble-free Delta that came with the house and was starting to leak and needed a new gasket.

Attempted Solutions:
a) Diverter was the prime suspect and was replaced: no change. The diverter looks like a tiny piece of cheap plastic. Are all diverters like this?
-- What makes for a good quality diverter?

b) Aerator next: tried a generic one first and then the brass one that I bought for my old Delta. 3 different aerators altogether. Nada.

c) AmerStand immediately suggested aerator or diverter problems. After hearing about the 2 diverters and 3 aerators, they said maybe a manufacturing defect in the fixture.

Water Pressure (for my house): 82.7 -- should not be high enough to cause problems (per DPW) including the clunking, and has never caused a problem before of any kind. And yes, I have HOT water. But again, the clunking can happen at any temp. Sooooooooooooooo . . .

Questions (Hailp!)
1. What exactly is causing the clunking?

2. Is a replacement fixture (same thing) likely to have the same problems?

3. Alternative brands & models to try?

Thanks for any/all suggestions and diagnoses!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks