Clueless Newbie Full Bath Reno... Oh Noooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

duct tape pro

Reaction score
Well, this looks like a job for something bigger than duct tape. Dang!

Just about to start ripping bathroom apart to put all new stuff in.
First out is a 1 piece tub/surround in beautiful harvest gold.
Anybody remember these???

Anyways, any obvious tips on how to avoid stupidity is appreciated.

Assumptions on tub from what I"ve read.

1. turn of water before starting
2. Use reciprocating saw to cut tub into pieces to get out of room.
3. disconnect taps, drain.
Now, can drain be disconnected from sitting in the tub? There's now way to see what's underneath without cutting wall.

I am hoping it's like a sink drain where you can spin the top to get it off somehow. (I am guessing there's some of that putty stuff under the chrome drain lip too?

Also it looks like I've got to whack some drywall to get the flange that holds tub in place? correct?

Any tips appreciated while I sip a beer here getting psyched for the weekend. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a flange behind the drywall around the tub, so you will need to break some of that out. Some tub drains can be dissassembled by turning out the strainer from the top. If it is a pain, consider just cutting around it and remove the tub and getting it later.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
block P trap to prevent crumbs and debris from falling into it. You don't want that stuff in your drain plumbing. You can use rags.

Later, don't use vacuum cleaner at tail end of clean up.

david

Last edited:

duct tape pro

Reaction score
Gee, cutting around sounds too simple. Great idea.

Q1. Is the P trap the curved pipe under the tub drain before it goes off to sewer system?

I've got a great mask.

One thing I'd like to share is suggest people wear proper masks (not the coffee filters with a rubber band attached) when busting drywall too. Before 1980 some drywall contains asbestos which could lead to mesothelioma. I've seen that and it's not nice.

Q2. I am guessing the on/off valve for the shower/tub taps is hiding in the wall somewheres, so I'll have to cut a hole on the other side of the wall?:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, the trap is the curved drain section. Often, you can take the handles and trim off of the valve, then pull the surround out from over them. Eventually, you'll probably want to replace that valve. You could cut it off and cap the pipes until ready, or just leave it there, just don't bend it and crimp the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks