Cloudy White Slime and Smelly Well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mafunk

Reaction score
Hoping for some quick advice. We just put an offer in on a house that is on well and septic.

Today while visiting the house we noticed that the people only use culligan bottle water to drink. When I went in to the bathroom it smelled like poop. I thought someone must have 'gone' in there. But now I'm wondering it it was the water. I should note that the water in the toilet was clear and I did not notice any discoloration of the toilet.

Anyway we went outside and walked by the area where the water tank, salt container and pump are. We could smell it from several feet away. Then we went close and lifted the lid. It smelled horrible! Like sewage (not sulfur). The water was all white and murky and there was alot of whitish grey slime as we well as brown thick slime floating in the water. The smell was overpowering.

So the home owner tried to tell us that the water just gotten 'out of balance' because his service guy had not been there in over a month (he usually comes monthly). He was doing a chlorine shock to the water.

So my concern is that he is chlorine shocking the water to cover up the issue. But that it is only a temporary fix, when in fact the system may need something much greater to really address the issue.

My questions are

1. What do you think the mucousy whiteish-grey and thicker brown slime are? SBR and IBR???

2. What do you think the slime indicates in terms of well problems? and future problems?

3. Very broadly what kind of money are we talking about to fix? what is needed.... reverse osmosis system? new well? pipes fixed?

We are in Naples, Florida btw. House built in 1990. We are also on septic, which was inspected on Friday, but he did a crap job. The well is being inspected on Monday.

budvoss

Reaction score
Id say the conditioner is bad. I lived in fl for 30 years and was on a conditioner all the 30. lol. The water has so much sulfur and iron in most wells in fl and smells like an ol good budwiser morning fart when not working. Plan to replace conditioner. I used a cheap ol walmart conditioner after my 3k system went bad and it was still working great when i sold the house 7 years later. Not an expert but just relaying the same problem i had

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks