Cloudy Well Water

Users who are viewing this thread

gbcherry

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently living in a double wide/modular home that belongs to a relative. I'm very appreciative of this opportunity as she only requires us to pay the electric bill, so in return I try my best to keep the place up and have even done things like replaced the carpet, etc. Staying here is allowing us to save and put back to build our own home.

Anyway, I say all that to say this; we have a deep well and I recently noticed that the water in the toilets are cloudy. I then started paying attention to the water that we give to the dogs and it too is slightly cloudy with a slight white hue to it. We have since changed to letting them have the water cooler water that we use and drink. Since we are now only using the water to shower, wash clothes, etc. should I be very concerned about it? I'm think we will only be here another year before we move. After that, I doubt she will sell the place since it is on her farm; however, who knows what the future will bring.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"Recently noticed"? So something has changed? Cloudy water could be air or debris. Does it settle to the bottom of a glass after time? Air could be a hole in the pipe or pumping the well too hard. Sand could also be from pumping the well too hard. Need to figure out what it is before we can fix it.

gbcherry

Reaction score
"Recently noticed"? So something has changed? Cloudy water could be air or debris. Does it settle to the bottom of a glass after time? Air could be a hole in the pipe or pumping the well too hard. Sand could also be from pumping the well too hard. Need to figure out what it is before we can fix it.

I should say that the water has never has been as crystal clear as the water we drink from the water cooler; however, as I stated I recently noticed the water in the toilet staying cloudy. I did a test where I poured some from the kitchen faucet into a glass and it stayed cloudy afterwards with no noticeable settling of debris on the bottom of the glass.

Reach4

Reaction score
I should say that the water has never has been as crystal clear as the water we drink from the water cooler; however, as I stated I recently noticed the water in the toilet staying cloudy. I did a test where I poured some from the kitchen faucet into a glass and it stayed cloudy afterwards with no noticeable settling of debris on the bottom of the glass.
Let that glass sit undisturbed for 24 hours. Any change? Maybe check at roughly 2, 6, and 12 hours in.

If the water stays unchanged for 24 hours, then you probably have colloidal clay. No danger. Hard to filter out with a cartridge.
If the cloudy area rises, it was dissolved gases, and if it falls after a long period, it is non-colloidal clay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_size

Last edited:

gbcherry

Reaction score
Let that glass sit undisturbed for 24 hours. Any change? Maybe check at roughly 2, 6, and 12 hours in.

Thank you! Lets say the water remains cloudy, is this something I should worry about since we do not use it for anything other than toilets, showers, and laundry?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks