Closet Flange: What next?

Users who are viewing this thread

AgentDLZ

Reaction score
I had a leaky rocking toilet. The floor is tile over cement. No basement. Now, I am stuck and would like some suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

After removing the toilet and the rusted out metal that was attached to this 4x3 offset closet flange, which was not bolted to the concrete... I have the following image below;

IMG_20211024_134501_1.jpg

Here are the options I can think of:

Remove the offset PVC flange and mount a new one level with the slab, then use extenders for about 1" to get to or slightly above tile height. I should mention, I'm afraid of damaging the pipe the offset is joined to.

Or, cement up to the leftover offset flange height, bolt in a replacement stainless steel ring.

Or, just replace the rusted out ring, use a jumbo sized wax ring, don't bother with making it level, and don't bolt it, forget it ever happened until it happens again (which could happen quickly).

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Leave the PVC closet flange there.
Install a repair or replacement ring to the concrete floor using anchors so that it solidly holds the new closet bolts.
If the flange is lower than the tile, use a thick wax ring or two rings stacked.

Before installing though, set the bowl down and see if it rocks on the floor, if so, shim so that it doesn't move.
Remove the bowl, drop the wax down and then set the toilet.

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Or, cement up to the leftover offset flange height, bolt in a replacement stainless steel ring.
That works.

Have you considered a repair ring with ears/ tabs outside such as these? If the ears will bridge your hole in the tile that could work.
Superior Model # 21015 repair ring
PASCO 21013 is similar in red
Jones Stephens C85000 is similar in blue.

Danco hydroseat is also a possibility.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks