Closet flange spacer between tile and existing flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Short version:
Is there an acceptable spacer solution I can use between finished tile and existing closet flange which is hovering slightly above tile to insure I have a secure fit?

OR is my only solution to mount a new flange flush with the tile once I’m done tiling?

TLDR:
I have exactly one inch between existing subfloor and bottom of toilet flange.

I calculate that after tile (3/8), Ditra heat duo (5/16) and mortar, I’ll come just under 1 inch.

That will leave existing flange hovering slightly above floor. It’s a nice copper flange, sweated in.
I’d rather leave it in, but if necessary, I can transition to pvc using a shielded 3” fernco on the horizontal piece and build up from there as necessary.

Attachments

• 55AB9430-AEAF-4C97-AA86-22EFEE5168AE.jpeg
    55AB9430-AEAF-4C97-AA86-22EFEE5168AE.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 95B1BCAD-CA28-4B5F-8BAB-3E0CBAFAF5A6.jpeg
    95B1BCAD-CA28-4B5F-8BAB-3E0CBAFAF5A6.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 132

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want to drop the flange lower, then cutting it out and replacing it with a new flange, with shielded a coupling to the copper would work nicely.
I take it the new flooring will not be as high as before?

Sokolq55

Reaction score
If you want to drop the flange lower, then cutting it out and replacing it with a new flange, with shielded a coupling to the copper would work nicely.
I take it the new flooring will not be as high as before?
Thanks. Yes, the new flooring will be just slightly lower so I just wanted to see if I should “save” this flange and use some sort of a spacer or replace all together.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have exactly one inch between existing subfloor and bottom of toilet flange.

I calculate that after tile (3/8), Ditra heat duo (5/16) and mortar, I’ll come just under 1 inch.

That will leave existing flange hovering slightly above floor. It’s a nice copper flange, sweated in.
I’d rather leave it in, but if necessary, I can transition to pvc using a shielded 3” fernco on the horizontal piece and build up from there as necessary.
I think you are saying that you think the bottom of the old flange would be be about 1/4 inch above the new finished floor. If the top of the old flange will be no more than 1/2 inch above the top of the finished floor, it seems to me that shims under the old flange would make sense.

You could measure how much clearance you would have by measuring the toilet against a straight edge. Any clearance more than zero is OK if you use wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks