Closet Flange Orientation

Users who are viewing this thread

Dbolljr9

Reaction score
I recently had a plumber replace the cast iron piping in my bathroom with PVC (cast iron was corroded and leaking in the basement). They installed a new PVC toilet flange, which I have attached in the picture. I'm concerned that it is not rotated correctly, as I would have expected to put the toilet bolts in the slots at 10 and 4 o'clock (or 2 and 8). Is it permissible to slip the toilet bolts in the notches at 9 and 3 that I've circled in red?

0318eecb-4abf-4b74-b6f9-7daf3fff1b7f.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flange is in the best position. The short side notches are stronger than the long notches that allow more changes in angle. The flange looks like it could use a few corrosion resistant screws into the subfloor. You might need to add blocking below to secure it to.

Use proper brass bolts with brass nuts and stainless washers to bolt to the flange, set your toilet atop that to determine whether you need to shim, shim appropriately if needed leaving shims in place. Set toilet with wax / seal. Do not reef excessively on bolts to tighten to flange/floor, test for leaks.. caulk if ok.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I've replaced the toilets on the cast iron flanges in my house, and those flanges only had the longer slots.
Many metal flanges only have the elongated slots, and most cast iron flanges had/have both, but any variation is certainly possible.

The notches simply provide more material around the point where the bolt that holds the toilet down. We often see posts for "how to repair" the flange where the long slot has broken.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either way is right the short notches or long slots. I always use the long slots but almost always use a metal ring. only reason they put the notches and slots there are for bolts .
Im taking into concideration Tutles comment on the short notches prefered for strength I hadnt thought of that but dont like all plastic rings either

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks