Closet flange height

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy

Reaction score
It's getting close to crunch time! In process of remodeling master bath. Finished install of new tile floor. I had extended existing cast iron flange using PVC extender with adhesive and screwed to sub-floor. Now with finished floor in place I see that flange only extends about 1/8" above floor (should have allowed for thickness of thin set under backer board and tile before putting on flange extender I guess). I am installing a Toto 2-piece Drake...question is will I be OK with the CF height as is. I plan to use standard wax ring with plastic horn. I've seen answers to this ranging from top of flange flush with floor up to 1/2" above. It is definitely not recessed. Also, tile does not go under the flange so there is about 1/4" to 3/8" gap between flange and tile...should this space be filled with caulking before using wax ring? Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Guy

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A toilet flange should sit flush on top of the finished floor level with only the thickness of the flange above floor level, and be bolted to the floor with the toilet leveled and bolted to the flange.
There are beveled plastic shims made for leveling purposes.
If it is too high, the toilet won't seat properly, and the wax ring seal will just get crushed out of place and eventually leak.
If it is too low, the wax ring (depending upon what you use) may not seal.
You need to support the flange from underneath the edges with something like solid wood, tile or concrete, not caulk.
And you may need to get another extender to get it right.
Good luck!
Mike

Guy

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I decided to go with the installation I described. I was not clear in my post. The "gap" I mentioned is a lateral gap. I did support the old metal flange with wood and set the PVC extender in adhesive caulk onto tye flange as well as screwing it tight to the sub floor using new holes I drilled in the extender to line up with bolt holes in old flange. I then caulked every seem I thought I saw ..and the extender is well sealed to the flange. I used a regular height wax ring with urethane horn and set the Darke down. What I did discover is that I need more experience at tile setting. I carefully shimmed the low spots and leveled the bowl while "squishing" the ring. Running on second day...very firm and stable mount with shims in place and many flushes worked great. The Toto Drake is a nice unit.

Is it too early to say I wont have any problems based on good performance so far or am I "over the hump"?

Thanks
Guy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks