Closet Flange and Spacer for Ceramic/Porcelain Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig Cannon

Reaction score
I finally got my floor ready for tile with the new pipe stubbed up to proper height. I started thinking securing the flange down thru the tile and decided I needed to find out what drill bit I needed for this. In just a few minutes of searching I realized this was not going to be simple, and since I am using porcelain tile, was actually going to be a huge pain.

Then I found a thread from this forum from 2013 where Terry stated he preferred to use a spacer under the flange and tile up to the spacer. Thank goodness I read that BEFORE it was tiled. This forum saved me again! Also read that placing spacer under flange is preferred when possible.

I went to my local HD and the only spacer they have at all is an Oatey PVC:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-4-in-PVC-Flange-Spacer-435192/303864021
This is only made to go onto the top of the flange as it will not fit underneath. And even at that, it doesn't match up with my Oatey flange that I bought at the same HD last week. Very aggravating.

So I made the trek over to Lowes where they have the Oatey flange spacer kit in stock:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Set-Rite-Plastic-4-in-in-Toilet-Flange-Spacer-Kit-For/1000194999
This covers gaps from 1/8" on up and fits underneath the flange. I need 3/8", so this kit works perfect for what I need. Seems kind of expensive considering its about $0.15 worth of plastic, but since it prevents me from having to drill 6 pilot holes thru porcelain tile, its well worth it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's better to notch your tile before you set it so that you do not have to drill the holes after it's down. That generally isn't a big deal when making the cut for the flange.

Toilet flanges are designed to be sitting on top of the finished flooring. Yes, there are millions of them that aren't, but when you're doing the remodeling, it's better to try to do it right. FWIW, a diamond core bit isn't all that much money, and will cut your porcelain tile quite well as long as you keep it wet during the process. Some are rated for dry cutting, but they tend to not last as long.

Craig Cannon

Reaction score
It's better to notch your tile before you set it so that you do not have to drill the holes after it's down. That generally isn't a big deal when making the cut for the flange.

Toilet flanges are designed to be sitting on top of the finished flooring. Yes, there are millions of them that aren't, but when you're doing the remodeling, it's better to try to do it right. FWIW, a diamond core bit isn't all that much money, and will cut your porcelain tile quite well as long as you keep it wet during the process. Some are rated for dry cutting, but they tend to not last as long.

I'm no plumber, but I would think as long as it's at the proper height, what it's setting on is insignificant (as long as it supports the weight). Drilling 6 core holes with a basic power drill thru porcelain tiles would take me a while. Plus, if I screw up and break the tile or the bit wanders and screws up a hole location, then I'm in trouble. Notching would work and I did consider, but since I don't lay tile and the "tile guy" did the job while I was out, I though it easier to just have him cut around my spacer ring that is setting on the backer board.

I have installed the new flange and I'm very happy with the results.

Attachments

• 20200810_161312.jpg
    20200810_161312.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 20200811_174658.jpg
    20200811_174658.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 265
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks