Closed stem leaks while other is open

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproksch

Reaction score
I just replaced both hot and cold American Standard 9C-23 stems and seats in my bathtub faucet with new ones made by Danco. Thought this would be a real quick fix. Everything seems to fit correctly, however the hot water stem will leak if it is closed while the cold water is on. The stem leak goes away if both hot and cold are on and if both are off. The spout does not drip if both are off.

Any advice on how to diagnose this problem? With both stems and seats brand new, it must be either a simple fix or a bad stem. I’m not even sure how it is possible that a closed stem could leak while the other is on and then go away once both are on.

Thanks much for any help!
Steve

Sproksch

Reaction score
Thanks! I think that was it, although in my excitement I cranked it down so much that I deformed the bonnet around the stem hole. So, now I think I'll definitely need a new stem to stop the leak. Either way, I'll know better for next time - thanks again!

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks