Clorox® Toilet Bowl Cleaner with TEFLON

Users who are viewing this thread

asuwish

Reaction score
think twice.

Sigh...

Flushing teflon down the drain just doesn't seem right. The chemicals end up in the ocean (specifically PFOA) - in the fish - and wow - you get the teflon that you purchased right back again, even more concentrated, except this time it stays in your system (and your kids' or grandkids' systems) until death; perhaps even an untimely death. I turn pale at the thought of millions of Americans using this product.

A little inconvenience or cancer? I recommend the brush.

Check out this site for a brief study on the effects of Teflon on our little blue/green planet and those who inhabit it:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/realitycheck/sheppard/20060620.html

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I dont think it contains any PFOA / perfluorooctanoic acid, the problem part of the teflon products. I have sent an E mail off to find out and will post the answer when I receive a reply.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I mentioned in another post on another thread, probably, that our local supermarket no longer sells Clorox with Teflon -- they marked it "discontinued" and sold their remaining stock at 2/$5. Don't know why.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
I dont think it contains any PFOA / perfluorooctanoic acid, the problem part of the teflon products. I have sent an E mail off to find out and will post the answer when I receive a reply.

This debate is relatively new and worth watching.

Mayoclinic study here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/teflon/AN01293

Lets see some definitive conclusions on human studies first. I'm Not jumping on any band wagon yet.

You aren't going to like this asuwish but many of us do Not consider the CBC as a reliable unbiased news source for Americans. It's an Ultra Liberal Canadian Government mouthpiece.
But thanks for the heads up on the issue...

Canada is the first and only country to ban some forms of the chemical in the manufacturing process. The studies just are not conclusive however according to your CBC article.

The current EPA position is as follows:

{excerpt}

..At the same time, the EPA said there is no reason for consumers to stop using any products containing PFOA provided they don't heat them to well above normal temperatures or abuse them in some other way. That is also Environment Canada's take as well..."

Mike

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As Mike noted, the accepted problem with this is the oveheated vapors, not something you'd notice in the solid particles at room temperature. I thought I read that some prothesis' use it, too. The wear and tear of an artificial joint would put solid particles into the bloodstream and various places. If it gets superheated in the toilet, stop lighting the farts!

camjo98686

Reaction score
Clorox Company Toilet Bowl Cleaner, W/Teflon, Squirt Bottle, 23 oz COX41821

I've been reading all your good reviews about the Clorox with Teflon - - but I'm thinking they are maybe dated/old or else I'm just lost!

I don't see the product on the Clorox site but it's 59.95 for a 23oz squeeze bottle. Is this right? Or am I just doing something wrong!!

And, while I'm at it - - would it be good for a cast iron tub?

Thanks for any insights.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Wow. I just looked at the bottles I've got left, they're the 23-oz bottles you saw on Amazon, but the last two I bought were 2 for $2.29. Should have bought more of these instead of gold ingots. I see a 12-pack of 2.47oz bottles, which makes no sense at all, on another site where we all get lots of cheap stuff. I'd like to know what's going on also. My experience has been that it's worth 2/$2.29, but not $40 each.

I wouldn't use it in the tub.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Dont know if this means anything but---

Teflon was invented in the 1930s by DuPont, the US firm which uses it today to make non-stick cookware, and also markets it as a coating for clothes and carpets.

The company recently agreed to an out-of-court settlement to a class action lawsuit brought by around 50,000 residents who lived near its West Virginia plant.

The residents, who lived along the Ohio river south of Parkersburg, West Virginia, claimed the company had contaminated local water supplies with PFOA, which they alleged was linked to birth defects and other health hazards.

DuPont eventually agreed to pay $50m in cash to the plaintiffs, plus $22m in legal costs. The company also agreed to spend $10m on special water treatment facilities to filter out PFOA.

Now, environmental campaigners on both sides of the Atlantic want to ban the controversial chemical.

"PFOA accumulates in the body and in the environment and studies on animals suggest a link to birth defects. We are very concerned about it," says Karine Pellaumail, from Friends of the Earth.

Dr Tim Kropp, a toxicologist working for the Environmental Working Group in the US says tests carried out by the US firm 3M suggested high doses of PFOA led to various forms of cancer in rats.

But DuPont disagrees. "There is no evidence that PFOA is harmful," says its director of media relations, Clifton Webb. "We are very confident that there are no health effects associated with the public's exposure to PFOA at the levels we have seen."

FACTS ABOUT TEFLON

Invented in US in 1930s
1946, first marketed by DuPont as Teflon
Has the lowest coefficient of friction of any solid material known to man
Found on pots, pans, overcoats, bullets and pine lining
But, he accepts that, in high enough doses, PFOA could be carcinogenic to animals.

Last year the American Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) launched an investigation into the chemical's effects, a study which is being watched by the British government.

It acknowledges "considerable scientific uncertainties" on the issue but says there is no reason anyone should stop using Teflon products.

But the EPA is expected to submit a more comprehensive risk analysis next month.

jrbales

Insurance Agent
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I am about to install the Kohler Cimmaron -- I have heard that keeping it clean is NOT easy... Part of me wants to return it, and buy the Toto, another part of me says that *this* may be a help...

Funny, seeing how I don't even know if I'm going to have a problem keeping the Kohler clean.

But thanks for the info. :)

Pete

Pete: Listen to the part of you that says return it and buy the Toto. You won't be disappointed! I've had my Toto Ultramax for nearly three years now and won't even consider any other brand if I ever have to buy a new toilet(s) again. It's beautiful and simply the best at what it does. It may cost a little extra but it's well worth it :D

marvinfinnley

Reaction score
I'm finding out the hard way. I'm using it on all my toilets, included the Sanigloss Ultramax.

I will keep you updated.

Terry, currently the Clorox site does not list the Teflon cleaner you recommended as a product. Is it still current? If not, is Gel Gloss your preferred replacement bowl cleaner product? I have two Toto toilets, and we don't want to damage the bowls of these expensive toilets. What do you recommend?

Marv Finnley

gregbooras

Reaction score
Terry,

Do you use the drop in the tank Cleaner or the spray?

Thanks Greg

Teflon on the Sanigloss.
That's what I've been using.
I flushed it the other day, and whoosh, it was all gone! I don't mean the Teflon, the other stuff was gone.

The Sanigloss is nice.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have just ordered some drop in the tank clorox teflon. If they really are the teflon ones, I'll let you know how they go.

With my Cadet 3.

Cookie

Reaction score
I checked the sites that were selling it, but it has been discontinued.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Are you following me Cookie?

A few places propose that they sell it, but my guess is that they will just send the ordinary blue to me.

I have ordered six. I'll let you know either way.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Update: Ouch. Cookie was right.

"We're sorry, but the following order from Polsteins Home & Beyond has been canceled because the items you purchased were out of stock. Please return and attempt to purchase again at a later time. "

I am going to try another seller but my choices are running slim.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am always right, even when I am wrong. :D
They discontinued it. I had a link to it and had even taken it down because I didn't want people to think it was still working. Ah, well...back to other products. Did you say you bought the ones in a tablet with Teflon? If so, where did you buy it, I would try those even.

Exoricst

Reaction score
So now that this product is discontinued. And i have my Toto Ultramax II and Drake II installed, and now using it and loveeee it, kindly let me know on what i should be using to clean it.
This is what i used to use on my previous toilets.. are they good for SaniGloss??
The generic Lysol

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you'll find anything that isn't acidic that could etch the surface, or abrasive that could scratch it should work. The Sanaglos glazing is smoother than 'normal' glazes. Anything that compromises that will hurt it's performance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks