Clogged Toilet Plz help ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Justine

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Toto toilet and it is clogged. At first when I flushed it, it was filled with toilet paper, poop, and urine. I flushed it once, and it wouldn't flushed. I tried using a plunger, but it didn't work. I tried flushing it again, but then it was about to overflow. I poured some baking soda in it (like a cup) about an hour ago, and it seems like most of the liquid has drained out, but there is a huge pile of mushed stuff (mushed everything I think, including baking soda). I'm scared that if I flush it it will overflow. What should I do?

Reach4

Reaction score
Take the lid off of the tank. If you want to stop a flush, flip the flapper down with your hand.

Use the plunger some more. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-plunger.29156/#post-326220

You can try pouring water from a big bucket into the bowl from as high as you can as quickly as the toilet will take it. But be ready to stop if the water level rises too much.

Do not add more solids to the toilet until things are working.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to pick up a closet auger for that.
Anytime you have a clogged bowl, things you can do include.
Plunging with a plunger.
Pouring water from a five gallon bucket into the bowl.
Use a closet auger (like a small snake, but made for use in toilet bowls)
Use a wet vac on it.
Remove the bowl and work on it from the bottom side.

You will want to have the water turned off for a lot of these. You don't want the bowl refilling if it's plugged.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A totally clogged Toto is very rarely caused by human waste and/toilet paper unless in extremely large amounts. I suspect something that should never be place in the toilet is causing the jam. This would be something like a child's toy, a toothbrush, a makeup compact, and the list goes on. Do not use a chemical product. The best homeowner device is the auger. Terry's list is the way to go, but if you don't have success, you may want to call a plumber.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you snake the toilet with a toilet auger and it's still not clear, pull the toilet out, bring it out to the yard and flush it. You'll be amazed what comes out.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As Terry has taught us, repeated short quick strokes work best. Just quickly up and down up and down until the clog busts. Thucka thucka thucka thucka woosh.

If the water has wicked out and you just have some mush at the bottom, the 1.28 or 1.6 gallons of one flush probably won't make it overflow. It usually takes two flushes of our Totos to fill the bowl with water in the very rare instances when they are clogged. That second flush can make it overflow, but the first is unlikely to do so. Just don't hold the handle down and drain the tank.

This Korky Maxperformance plunger works well on the keyhole shaped holes at the bottom of modern bowls. I have one. Now called "Beehive". Cute.
c0fe967c-0887-4527-97c4-9add8e4915f0_1000.jpg

Available at HD: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-BEEHIVE-Max-Toilet-Plunger-99-8A/203765220

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks