Clogged sink and funky plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

James McCoy

Reaction score
So my kitchen sink was fully backed up and I went to inspect it and found some leaky pipes underneath which made plunging pretty pointless as the pressure just spewed out the joints. I had a mix of PVC, metal and ABS connections with one of those accordion/bellows type fittings as well.

The disposal backs up into the other sink and vice versa at this point. The disposals plug is still in and the dishwasher drains into the non disposal sink. To be clear, this is how it was when we purchased the house. I’m very handy and capable when it comes to building and automotive, but know very little in terms of plumbing.

I did some brief homework and ended up replacing both p traps with new PVC that connects to the pre existing ABS. After plunging I got it to drain very very very slowly, but nowhere remotely close to what is should be.

Every diagram and tutorial I found elsewhere didn’t have pipes that looked like the way mine are so I came here for some knowledge.

my biggest question is basically, is this plumbed right? Everything else I saw anywhere had either the disposal tied over to the other side for a main single outlet, or tied into a Y of some sort. My setup seems really counterintuitive since everything just kind of goes from one side to the other and seems to slope in only one direction and not perfectly horizontal.

I really don’t know what I’m looking at, but I think I need to snake at this point and am not sure if I should take that plug off the top of the ABS “T” or what, or change the whole setup in general.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6CFD1056-BFDA-4D3D-8F71-B160E06D5A4C.jpeg
    6CFD1056-BFDA-4D3D-8F71-B160E06D5A4C.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 228

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Double S-trap. World class snafu. You need a vent and some new parts to properly run those drains. Not seeing the d/w drain. You might could squeak by using a studer vent where the plug is if you don't feel like really getting in to it.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can add venting above the double fixture fitting there. Adding an AAV would be the easy thing.
I don't see a problem with the double fitting, it just needs the vent.
The drain can be snaked at that point.

James McCoy

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

could I not snake prior to adding an AAV?

It’s hard to see from my photo, since if I back up there’s a vertical piece of wood that gets in the way from the cabinets, by in the upper right near the down pipe of the sink is where the dishwasher attaches.

I suspected an AAV may be needed off some prior posts I read. We’ve never had an issue with smells or drainage so I’ve never messed around under there prior.

is there any specific AAV or are they all pretty much the same? My understanding is they just kind of thread in or attach in place like other PVC type components. Is that fairly accurate?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
could I not snake prior to adding an AAV?

You have a cleanout there now.
If your traps are not siphoning, as in perhaps they vented below the floor which is what they do in some places, then it wouldn't be needed.

If you decide to add an AAV, yes they come with a fitting for that, and if the wood above is in the way, then an offset works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks