Clogged injection valve blows peristaltic pump tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a peristaltic pump that pumps water +bleach from a solution tank to what looks like a PULSAFEEDER U8800712 Injection Check Valve ( his photo looks similar to this:
U8800712-image.pjpeg
). The valve periodically clogs with a hard deposit, probably calcium carbonate.

When that happens, the pinch Peristaltic Squeeze Tubing in the pump ruptures due to the high pressure. Bleach water flows out to the floor, and the water does not get chlorinated.

Ideas to solve this? I thought about an overpressure switch that would sound an alarm. What would be a good switch for that, considering that it gets contact with a strong bleach solution? Or how about a relief valve that could take the bleach?

The chlorinated water gets fed to a backwashing activated carbon filter to remove chlorine and precipitate.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The injection check-valve needs to be replaced and or cleaned every once in a while. Do you know how often or if they ever do that? Where does the chlorine come from? Is it household bleach, such as regular unsented clorox or what? Is it injected as it is or is it diluted with water? If so where does the water come from? Dilution should only be done with good filtered water - not raw water. Is there a strainer on the chlorine intake line? If not adding one might help.

FYI , Peristaltic Squeeze Tubing (Not pinch tubing)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure if they replace it when it clogs or if they just clean it somehow.

Chlorine comes from Clorox unscented 8.25%.

I don't know if the dilution is done with filtered softened water, but I agree that it should be. I will ask.

Strainer on the intake? I would think so, but I will ask that too.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not wait for it to explode to fix it. Maintenance should be done often enough that it is cleaned or replaced before there is a system failure. Use the correct parts because 8.25% chlorine is tough stuff. If they are chlorinating to kill bacteria I think it is very important but if it is just to ppt out iron etc maybe they don't care. Maintenance cost will be less with the wait till it breaks method.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect they will do PM. The failure is a big motivation.

Purposes are
1. sulfur smell
2 iron
3 bacteria including SRB and IRB.

What do you think of alternating injectors with the not-in-service injector soaking in vinegar, citric acid, or something else?

The 121 oz bottle of bleach is diluted with some significant amount of water. I would guess 20 gallons. Hope that is softened.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
No the ball and spring is fine if it is made for that purpose. I would try different types and see what worked best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks