Clogged Filter - Due to Hot Water Recirc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mandingo

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm truly stumped on this one, although I suspect the culprit. I recently installed a hot water recirculation pump (at the heater), CW used for return. It seemed shortly after, my refrigerator water filters started clogging substantially within a few weeks. I had thought it was a solenoid valve in the fridge but nope, a new filter flowed just fine for a week or two. I suspect sediment or minerals at the bottom of the water heater are being pushed into the CW line, which then feeds back to the filter. Other than draining the tank or installing a sediment filter downstream of the HW line, I don't believe there to be an easy fix here. I might just take it as a sign to install a RO system under the sink, finally. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks fellas.

Reach4

Reaction score
WH flushing is an easy DIY thing. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-flush-a-hot-water-heater.79444/#post-576623 post #7.

It's not clear to me how the recirculation feature could clog your refrigerator filter. You might consider a whole house cartridge filter. Maybe sediment has been kicked up by the city.

But if you are convinced that the recirculation system does it, you could put a check valve in line with the cold water feed to the WH. Make sure there is a thermal expansion tank downstream of the check valve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks