Clip to hold moen single handle faucet below countertop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
Good news...bad news...

Good news, I replaced the 1225B cartridge and handle assembly and now the handle moves easily.

Bad news, something metalic has rusted out and broken that secured the faucet to the underside of the countertop.

This is a single-handle pull out "Camerist" Moen faucet.

What do I need to purchase (if possible) to secure the faucet to the underside of the cabinet? Is there a clip or washer of some kind?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are two different versions, but both of them are secured by a nut screwed on to stud attached to the valve body, which projects through the countertop, or sink.

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
There are two different versions, but both of them are secured by a nut screwed on to stud attached to the valve body, which projects through the countertop, or sink.
I found Moen part #93959 which is a U-shaped part that resembles what is there and rusted out. Where can I can a replacement part on Saturday.
I've attached two images at what I'm seeing under the sink.

IMG_20180831_194217308.jpg
IMG_20180831_194221080.jpg

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
The only place you are likely to find it is at Moen. Something had to be leaking for long, long time to rust that bracket.
A couple places had it in stock. But the nut that need to be removed was rusted on the valve stem. We decided to just buy a new Moen kitchen faucet instead. Of course, the supply lines from the faucet were too short to reach the shut-offs, so back for another trip to HD to purchase some Brass Craft 1/2" MIP x 3/8" OD straight fittings. It took me awhile to figure out what to purchase as no help was available. I should have gone to my local Mom and Pop Hardware store (lesson learned).
Anyway, the new faucet is installed and seems to be working and I don't see any leaks under the sink. I keep a water alarm under there as well, because unlike electric that either works or doesn't depending on the connections, plumbing will work, but you may not be able to know about a leak until much later.
Every time I need to do plumbing, I appreciate the difficulty of the profession.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every time I need to do plumbing, I appreciate the difficulty of the profession.

It often is not like the book on it. Yesterday I had to pull out my drill and cut through the nuts under a counter to remove a nut that absolutely would not move. I was able to split the nut and then pull the faucet stem up and out. That is never in any instructions I've ever seen. :)

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
IN that case, I would have waited until Monday to contact Moen and have them send a replacement faucet.
I thought about it, but Moen is "closed" until Tuesday because of Labor Day. So we would have had a wobbly faucet from Saturday until I was able to reach Moen on Tuesday, and then wait for a new faucet. My wife wouldn't be happy about that. "Happy wife, happy life":D
I did send them an email with pictures of the rusted out retainer and also the rusted out inner workings of the faucet. I let them know my disappointment in the faucet lasting only 9 years. I also kept the old faucet, in case they want it. In addition, I let them know the cost of the new faucet and asked to be subsidized or reimbursed for a portion of the cost. Maybe my squeaky wheel will get greased?
At the end of the day, we have a new faucet which is an improvement over the old one. My wife even helped install it, as her smaller body fit much better than mine under the sink and was better suited to reaching up to secure the retaining "wing" and nut. She also has a new appreciation for DIY plumbing projects and how the water gets to the faucet and now knows the satisfaction from completing a DIY project.

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
They do NOT want it. I think the only thing you will get from them, if anything at this point, will be a replacement faucet.
Much to my surprise, Moen is shipping that same faucet we just purchased and installed. Hopefully I can return it to HD and get a refund or at least a store credit.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks