Client owes $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Henry Rodriguez

Reaction score
I own a irrigation company out of Columbus, Ohio. One of my clients, a farmer, owes us about $5k. My guys went out to the farm, did what they had to do, and he said he was going to mail in a check to us. It now has been 4 months and no check. At first he was promising he was going to send it but now he is not returning my calls. I've already paid my guys but I'm still out $5k. How can I get my money back if he isn't responding to me. I'm contemplating showing with a bat but that'll just land me in jail. Thanks in advance.

Dimples

Reaction score
Hi Henry,

You will need to reach out to a collection agency. I had an issue like that back in Dec of 2016, I provided plumbing services to another company, I completed the work and he failed to pay me $3500, didn't know what to do or how to collect since he dodged my calls / emails ect. I then searched online and found Accounts Receivable, you don't pay anything up front unless they collect. In less than a month they were able to recover the full amount where it took me almost 2 yrs to collect on.

FYI they also have an affiliate program where you earn extra cash for just referring clients to them.

Give them a call 321-710-3530

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you have a work order signed or a proposal signed that is considered a contract and makes it a lot easier to

1- Place a lien on the property

2- Give to a decent lawyer and explain to the farmer when you sue you will seek legal fees that you laid out to collect plus interest

Collection agencies just keep sending out letters etc

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
In Florida a property lien is used most often. I googled "Property lien in Ohio" and all kinds of information came up but most of it is for construction projects and sub contractors.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another search term would be "mechanics lien".

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Farmers are notorious for calling out someone to do repairs and then not paying. Even had them say they assumed I knew they couldn't pay until they sold their cotton in December, but they needed the water in June. I assumed they knew I wouldn't come if they didn't pay me, so they said they would and didn't. I finally started saying I will wait right here over the well until you bring me a check. If I leave they can lock the gate, put up a sign, and keep me from coming back on the property. As long as I don't leave, I can pull the pump out and take it home with me if they don't pay. which I have. But usually when you start coming out with it they will miraculously find a check. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks