Clicking Ticking PEX heat lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I plumbed my house with oxygen barrier PEX tubing 3/4 inch from hot water boiler to copper fin baseboard radiators
This is a two story home with basement where the boiler is installed. Every time there is a call for heat upstairs the areas in the wall where the tubing goes thru the top plate to radiator starts a tick/click song for about 20 seconds as pipe heats up not the baseboard radiators. Can I spray a silicone product from above the floor (or a similar product if you can recommend) to let the PEX expand easily not rubbing on the wood 2x4’s. The holes I drilled were oversized but the natural curve of PEX rolls and fire break spray foam into the holes must be restricting the expanding PEX. Also any thoughts if this constriction can shorten the life of the PEX? Thanks

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Can you slide a section of pipe insulation around the pipe and through the hole in the top plate.
No not possible because holes are filled with fireproof expanding foam
Trying to scrape away the foam would be very difficult and may cause damage to the PEX as I can’t see inside the wall as to how much foam was applied

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks