Clicking/rattling sound when well runs

Users who are viewing this thread

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've looked around a bit, and seen some instances of rapid cycling, etc, but what I'm seeing seems a bit different from most of what I've seen elsewhere.

I bought a vacation/rental house with a well. Its my first well, so I'm learning a lot about how they work, etc. Planning to redo some piping, add another pressure tank, etc as preventative maintenance, but the immediate issue was what seemed to be a shot pressure switch. Inspection noted worn contacts etc, and I noticed this rattling sound. I think its only when pump is running (I'm not at house to confirm, and I've learned much more about wells since I was last there). I replaced the pressure switch when I was there last, as well as draining the tank and filling pressure back up from the 19ish it was at to 38 (its running a 40/60 switch). The sound remains.

I plan to repipe most of the main lines in the house next week when we're there again, as well as put in 2nd 20 gal tank (and test existing one more properly). I like the idea of 2) tanks so that it operates more like a large tank, but if one goes down while I'm away for a while, its not destroying the pump with just the 2nd one still functional. I can test them periodically while I'm there and replace one as necessary.

Also considering a CSV and dry run/short cycle sensor as future upgrades, if anyone has any input on those. I'm sure Cary will chime in on that part, seen him all over the web talking about them :)

Anyway, for now I'm just trying to figure out what this sound is and what is causing it. Hopefully this link will work, its just to a google photos video of the sound. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pr9LsGxP8nb96EZWA

Any insight for me?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a jet pump (above ground) for your Florida rental?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A burned pressure switch is a sign of too many pump cycles. That is a strange sound. Might be the check valve rattling as they are also damaged by the same cycling on/off that destroys pressure switches, tank bladders, pumps, and everything else in a pump system.

One good 20 gallon size tank is more than you need if used with a Cycle Stop Valve. Two 20 gallon size tanks are not nearly enough without a CSV.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
A burned pressure switch is a sign of too many pump cycles.
Yeah, it was def worn and needed to be replaced.
That is a strange sound. Might be the check valve rattling as they are also damaged by the same cycling on/off that destroys pressure switches, tank bladders, pumps, and everything else in a pump system.
I'll look for a localized check valve. I thought most of the time they were only at the pump?
One good 20 gallon size tank is more than you need if used with a Cycle Stop Valve. Two 20 gallon size tanks are not nearly enough without a CSV.
I'm doing a Well x trol 20 gal for the new tank. Its currently running on one 20 gal Jaccuzzi aqua pod, so have to be making a big improvement. Its only got the 20 year old Aqua Pod right now, this will allow the system to work a lot better than it has been, and in the event the old tank fails, still has a tank so its not terrible until fixed.

Its an older house - I'm thinking potentially to do the CSV later, but at the moment I don't have confidence the piping to the well can handle the substantial back pressure. I really don't want to take a risk like that in a place I'm not always there to keep an eye on it. Because I'm thinking of going that route, I'm not going giant on the pressure tanks now. Hoping that doubling up the bad system they have now will get me by for a bit while I figure out next moves. I have no idea how old pump is, what size it is, etc (house built in 1976). It could be about to die anyway, in which case I might just bite the bullet and do all new piping from well to house etc so I'm confident all is good, before adding a high back pressure device to an unknown system.

But def open to thoughts.

I'll be there tomorrow to start looking at things and see if I can figure out what that sound is. I have new tank tee, pressure gauge, relief valve (none present atm), etc, and plan to repipe the whole system and main trunks to water heater through basement while I'm at it.

One other big thing going on is I need an outdoor spigot for the hot tub people to service the tub. It gets drained and refilled monthly, plus top ups, etc. I'm a little worried about the cycling of that, so would like to figure out the flow rate of my pump and try to get a hose bib with flow rate high enough to flow full capacity of pump, if possible. Not sure what its capacity is though.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks