CLEAR Schedule 40 PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

CenterTree

Reaction score
Anyone here use this extensively?

I have a need to make a DIY site tube for the outside of my indoor water storage tank. (low yield well water).
I figure a simple TEE off the bottom discharge hole, and then run the clear pvc up the side of the tank. Add a float ball too, just for kicks.

I have found there are basically 2 sources of this pipe. One expensive one brags of NSF/potable rating. And the cheaper one claims to be "furniture grade". Quite a price difference. Do you guys think there is a REAL difference in material or might it just be the high cost to get the certification that makes one more costly?

Looks like all the other specs are the exact same as white schedule 40 in respect to both.

NSF pipe:
https://www.clearpvcpipe.com/produc...1&_sid=33c1ce0eb&_ss=r&variant=40024262639767

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...VC_Brochure_-_Schedule_40_80.pdf?v=1618841513

CHEAP, not rated pipe:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufi...VC-Pipe-in-Clear-P001FGP-UV/206028393#overlay
site-tube.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
No idea on whether the materials are the same. I would never install the non certified in a customers home if I were selling it.

I think they're the same price tho. The certified version comes in QTY 2 for $44. The HD version is $20 for 1 - 5ft stick.

Last sight glass we installed I'm certain we used actual glass tubing in a special brass housing. I'm pretty certain that is what my father inlaw uses for his wood fired steam boilers.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is top part of that clear pipe going to be? It cannot be a cap. I am guessing open to the atmosphere, with maybe some kind of filter or screen to exclude bugs.

Also, you may want to consider another float switch to inhibit the pressure pump if the holding tank runs out of water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
probebly is ok but no idea the importance of being concidered safe is to anyone else?

CenterTree

Reaction score
What is top part of that clear pipe going to be? It cannot be a cap. I am guessing open to the atmosphere, with maybe some kind of filter or screen to exclude bugs.

Also, you may want to consider another float switch to inhibit the pressure pump if the holding tank runs out of water.
Yep, the sketch is just a quick draw up. The cap will indeed need to have a "vent" feature in order to function properly. Or I may even tie it back into the tank at the top by drilling another hole.

As far as another float switch... I am going to use a low pressure cut off switch version of the Square D. That and the fact that the SQ pump has a run dry feature built in also, should be enough.

CenterTree

Reaction score
No idea on whether the materials are the same. I would never install the non certified in a customers home if I were selling it.

I think they're the same price tho. The certified version comes in QTY 2 for $44. The HD version is $20 for 1 - 5ft stick....
They are close in price until you enter them in to your CART online and see that they want $48.00 to ship.:eek: So the NSF are double what Home Depot wants for the unRated one. (free shipping to HD).

Just was wondering if there is REALLY any difference in the manufacturing process or just a rating thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks