Clear effluent septic pump dead after 28 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I live in an extreme canyon with 2 creeks, thus the septic tank pumps uphill @ 50' height to a sand filter on a terrace on a mountainside. The Goulds pump is a WE05hh, at least according to my old blueprints. The engineers spec was for pumping 16 gallons per minute at 26' of head. However, I measured the height and found about 50' of head. Since I have a 3000 gallon tank there and I see 20 psi near the septic tank, 20 x 2.3= 46 psi. So much for the septic engineer. Right now, I have a siphon in the tank to keep it at normal level until I get a pump. The tank is also on a terrace, so a siphon works here. Not a good long term solution where the creeks are concerned.

https://www.pumpproducts.com/goulds...0-gpm-maximum-20-ft-cord-manual-p-538725.html

Thats a 1,000$ pump now, but the curve works for my height of 50'. I recall that the engineer paid for the replacement of his original 26' head pump - learned an expensive lesson.
I want to go to a standard clear effluent submersible pump, or even a potable water submersible, as the pump is in a screened chamber. Pump suggestions? The Franklin bottom feed cistern units? [its wired for 120 volts, 2 wire pump.] Seems most of these have too high a head at 50', and I don't want to over dose this sand bed. There seems no easy way to throttle the pump output to 16 gpm at 50', as all piping is buried.

Reach4

Reaction score
Seems most of these have too high a head at 50', and I don't want to over dose this sand bed. There seems no easy way to throttle the pump output to 16 gpm at 50', as all piping is buried.
I was thinking something like a Zoeller 163 or 4163. Doesn't the destination up top have a hundred gallons or more of storage for effluent waiting to enter the sand? https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Zoeller - 263-0002 - Brochure.pdf
Maybe the E4164 (230v) or N4163 (115v)

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Those bottom fed submersibles are lasting maybe 2 years.

So either the $800 +/- Goulds that MIGHT last another 28 years [They say carbide on carbide seals and can run dry- and I know it's true because this pump got so hot 12 years ago, it melted the PVC outlet pipe, but the pump still went until now] Or never mind the cistern pump and a good quality 1/2 or 1/3 hp 4" well pump? What would you use. The Goulds pumps 3/4" solids, but I probably don't pump anything near 1/8".

Ballvalve

Reaction score

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I was thinking something like a Zoeller 163 or 4163. Doesn't the destination up top have a hundred gallons or more of storage for effluent waiting to enter the sand? https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Zoeller - 263-0002 - Brochure.pdf
Maybe the E4164 (230v) or N4163 (115v)

There is no storage at the sand filter. The effluent pumps into a distribution network of drilled 1" PVC pipe on a 12x24' x 2' deep sand bed. Specs call for theoretical pumping [dosage] of 75 gallons 3x per day at 16 GPM. Pretty much hit or miss since there is no method of checking the dose or pressure at the sand filter.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
A regular submersible well pump will last a long time. Especially if you can fit a flow inducer sleeve over it.

So now that the Orenco filter basin and housing are out of the tank, it turns out that this 28 year old pump is NOT dead at all. The on, off and alarm floats are buggered up in various ways and will be changed. This 1/2 hp Goulds we0511HH checks out for amps and ohms. Weigh about 75 pounds, specs say it can run dry, and survive locked rotor amps for some crazy long time. I am going to stick with this well made boat anchor. Still made, same specs, $700. Would you roll the dice and put it back in? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks