Cleanout Through Exterior Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbyt

Reaction score
The 3" horizontal building drain runs along an exterior wall a foot or so above grade. The basement was finished, concealing this cleanout at the end of the run.

We are remodeling our kitchen and now have access to the drain line from above. Is there anything wrong with adding a 90 el to the existing cleanout and running it through the exterior siding? My thinking is that access would be much better and it would keep the equipment and mess outside in the event of a blockage.

Thanks,
Bob

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it is pretty common in warmer areas, from what I understand. If you run a 90, I think you would want a long sweep.

bobbyt

Reaction score
I think it is pretty common in warmer areas, from what I understand. If you run a 90, I think you would want a long sweep.

Agreed on the long sweep.

We're near Philly so it's not always a warm area. We get Winter with some substantial snowfall. What's the downside in colder areas?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It would be rare that a drain line could freeze. You're alway dumping warm water down the drain and if pitched correctly the pipe would be dry for the most part. There is no "downside" for an exterior clean out.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have room I would use two 45s with a short piece between them - a snake will pass easier.

bobbyt

Reaction score
I'm having trouble coming up with a good looking way to terminate the cleanout through vinyl siding. If it is commonly done, what do people do?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks