Cleanout required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zenman

Reaction score
I'm planning a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. The tub, sink and toilet drains all are tied together (3" PVC) and go down to the basement. Once in the basement the drain will go from vertical to horizontal at the basement ceiling to clear the HVAC ductwork. At this point do I need a cleanout? (wye on its back with the cleanout) Further down the line (past the HVAC ductwork) the 3" drain will go down again to meet the 4" drain which has a cleanout upstream of the 3" connection. This project is in New Jersey and we follow by UPC.

To summize, do I need the 3" cleanout above the HVAC ductwork?

Attachments

• bathplumbing.jpg
    bathplumbing.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Yes, all horizontal drains require a cleanout. The toilet is considered a cleanout so that takes care of the horizontal drain for the new bathroom (the horizontal pipe for the tub/sink is considered waste pipe)

There is more too it but the answer you are looking for is YES

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

I, and the inspectors around here, DO NOT consider the toilet an acceptable cleanout. And since the vertical drain should not, but apparently sometimes does, get obstructed, a cleanout in the wall above the toilet would be prudent.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
HJ, I agree with you concerning placing a cleanout above the toilet.

As an inspector, we are held to the codes and cannot ask any more. As you know there are many levels of plumbers out there who do minimum and never think about common sense or return service calls.

Here is the definition of cleanout from the IPC to which I am held to. I cannot make up my own codes like other inspectors do, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

CLEANOUT. An access opening in the drainage system utilized
for the removal of obstructions. Types of cleanouts
include a removable plug or cap, and a removable fixture or fixture
trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks