Cleanout plug removal on cast iron help needed, 3.5"

Users who are viewing this thread

openhand

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm building a bathroom and have to tie into cast iron- I have quite a bit of experience with abs, but not CI. The best way to create the new waste run would be to tap into the 4" cleanout you see in the picture, but it's in a hard to access spot, and on initial inspection, it looks like a brass plug that may be soldered in. I can crawl in there Monday for a closer look.. Does anyone recognize this type of plug and does it make sense that a cleanout plug would be leaded in? Or maybe it's threaded with some kind of sealant? Can someone walk me through how to remove this plug and tap in with ABS? Thanks much.
cast iron cleanout plug.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is threaded in, but you probably will NOT be able to unscrew it. A plumber would just cut it out and replace it with a new one. Your REAL problem, however, is that it is a 3 1/2" thread and there is NOTHING made, other than another plug, which will screw into that size thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks